Play Finland’s Weekly Newsletter
In this report we will combine week 42/2020 from the Finnish Game Industry and will be posted every Friday afternoon. Check out the previous post here.
News are gathered from the Play Finland group posts during the week. That is why we recommend you to post by yourself (however not flood) your Finnish Game Industry related news to the group. It also guarantees that your news will be visible in the weekly newsletter /news compilation. Play Finland is at the moment one of the main channels for sharing information inside the industry.
- 16th October Miniseminaari: Taide pelissä ja peli taiteessa (online)
- 16 October W Love Games conference (online)
- TICKETS are available now and the link is first shared to those who have signed up for W Love Games newsletter. Sign up to a newsletter here.
– Madalina-Georgiana Vladau from RedLynx!
– Bogdina Buvaeva and Lamees Ouzon from Google
– Drussila Hollanda-Grönberg from Supercell
– Salla Hiiskoski from Futureplay Games
– Sergei Panin from Remedy
– Ruth Falconer from Abertay Univesity and WIGJ
– Phylicia Koh (Play Ventures)
- 21st October Game Industry Virtual Pub Quiz by IGDA Satakunta!
- 26th October Games Now! open lecture series at Aalto University; Psychology of Sound Design (online)
- 28th October Games Job Fair Online
- 28th-30th October Nordic VR Forum 2020 (online)
- 4th November Elite Game Developers webinar: How Lightheart Launched And Scaled UA For Mr. Autofire
- 6th of November #XmasJKL 2020 – The Finnish Game Industry Seminar / Jyväskylä
- 23rd November Games Now! open lecture series at Aalto University; “Publishing Games in China” (online)
- 7th December Games Now! open lecture series at Aalto University; “Exergaming” (online)
- 25th January Games Now! open lecture series at Aalto University; “Founding a Game Company (in Finland), Again” (online)
- 15th February Games Now! open lecture series at Aalto University; “Building Sustainable Gaming Cultures” (online)
- 29th March Games Now! open lecture series at Aalto University; “Fostering Playful Experiences with Wearables” (online)
- March 2021(Date tbc) British Academy Games Awards
- Applications already open
- Thursday 19 November 2020 – Entries close
- Tuesday 2 March 2021 – Nominations announced
- March 2021 (Date tbc) – British Academy Games Awards
- 19th April Games Now! open lecture series at Aalto University; “Next Generation of Interactive Streaming” (online)
- 3rd May Games Now! open lecture series at Aalto University; “Art of Learning by Doing – The Great Game Jam Panel” (online)
- 19th-23rd of July GDC 2021
See also The Game Industry Events calendar
EGDF in co-operation with Slovak Game Developers Association has build gameconfguide.com for complete list of games industry events and conferences and their status.
- With the initial half a million Euros in donations, the Pelimetsä project has already preserved over 130 hectares (330 acres) of Finnish forest 🌿 Now is time for the second phase, and 🌳Pelimetsä 🌲 is now a part of the activities of the Finnish Game Developers’ Association. Pelimetsä invites now moreFinnish game companies to become long-term supporters❤️
- Habbo Hotel celebrates it’s 20th 🎂 anniversary! (article in Finnish only)
Johanna Verhiö got rewarded for Girls Act of the Year (Vuoden tyttöteko) 🏆 developing and supporting communities for live action role play games and digital game environments for girls.
Open jobs & Recruitment:
Koukoi Games is hiring experienced programmers
- Finnish Games Career Day will be on Wed 28th October at 9:00 – 19:00 more info here
- BusinessFinland has launched a nationwide job board to advertise jobs for #English speakers in #Finland. Advertising the open positions in the portal is free of charge for the companies.
- If you are looking for talented games industry professionals in Finland for short or long term hire – please check out ever growing #GamesFactoryTalentBoard and please reach out for details! Also if you are #Talent working in games industry or willing to join the Finnish games industry feel free to apply! https://gamesfactorytalents.com
- Take a look at https://thehub.fi/jobs for the current list of all jobs available in the Finnish Game Industry!
October application period for Finnish Cultural Foundation’s funds is on! Application period lasts until the end of October and games have been on their list for a couple of years. One could also think if games could be applied in the hospitals and other institutions, since they have their own program.
Joni-Petteri Kivistö is asking tips for creating boardgame prototypes.
Anton Tabris Kointähti needs some advice about collaborative development & Scrum
- Everyone is invited to watch Latvian Game Awards next Thursday! Simply go to Latvian Game Developers Association’s YouTube page
- XR Nation This week’s Citizen’s Spotlight: Marks & Clerk LLP
- Oceanhorn – The Adventure Video Game releases on Nintendo Switch on October 28
- EGD Podcast: How To Work With Gaming Startup Advisors
Kayo Games flies with drones in augmented reality.
Finnish Game Incubator applications are pouring in, and we’re starting to look through them! Apply now – fully remote, totally free and you’ll even get an entrepreneurship degree!Starting November 2020, apply by 23.10.2020Mentors include investors, marketing experts and CEOsFrom Tampere Game Hub, Business Tampere and AhlmanTotally free, remotely online on Discord, limited spots!