Play Finland’s Weekly Newsletter
In this report we will combine week 43/2020 from the Finnish Game Industry and will be posted every Friday afternoon. Check out the previous post here.
News are gathered from the Play Finland group posts during the week. That is why we recommend you to post by yourself (however not flood) your Finnish Game Industry related news to the group. It also guarantees that your news will be visible in the weekly newsletter /news compilation. Play Finland is at the moment one of the main channels for sharing information inside the industry.
- 26th October Games Now! open lecture series at Aalto University; Psychology of Sound Design (online)
- 28th October Games Job Fair Online
- 28th-30th October Nordic VR Forum 2020 (online)
- 4th November Elite Game Developers webinar: How Lightheart Launched And Scaled UA For Mr. Autofire
- 6th of November #XmasJKL 2020 – The Finnish Game Industry Seminar / Jyväskylä
- 23rd November Games Now! open lecture series at Aalto University; “Publishing Games in China” (online)
- 7th December Games Now! open lecture series at Aalto University; “Exergaming” (online)
- 25th January Games Now! open lecture series at Aalto University; “Founding a Game Company (in Finland), Again” (online)
- 15th February Games Now! open lecture series at Aalto University; “Building Sustainable Gaming Cultures” (online)
- 29th March Games Now! open lecture series at Aalto University; “Fostering Playful Experiences with Wearables” (online)
- March 2021(Date tbc) British Academy Games Awards
- Applications already open
- Thursday 19 November 2020 – Entries close
- Tuesday 2 March 2021 – Nominations announced
- March 2021 (Date tbc) – British Academy Games Awards
- 19th April Games Now! open lecture series at Aalto University; “Next Generation of Interactive Streaming” (online)
- 3rd May Games Now! open lecture series at Aalto University; “Art of Learning by Doing – The Great Game Jam Panel” (online)
- 19th-23rd of July GDC 2021
See also The Game Industry Events calendar
EGDF in co-operation with Slovak Game Developers Association has build gameconfguide.com for complete list of games industry events and conferences and their status.
Om Nom: Run by Koukoi Games receives a super-cool multiplayer update! Download & check it out! The game has already reached +17,5m downloads, soon heading to 20 million downloads!
Barotrauma is celebrating 🎂 their 5 years birthday FakeFish made a short retrospective video to celebrate and say thank you to their players
Open jobs & Recruitment:
- Meliora is looking for producer/biz dev person for super interesting project. The idea is to develop a game that is fun to play and also helps people who suffer from depression. There is already pretty impressive evidence of the approach working. Next step is to run full clinical trials. Platform is PC/console. Contact Matias Palva ASAP if interested firstname.lastname@example.org. And ping Olesja Marjalaaksoif you want to ask anything.
- 28th October Games Job Fair Online
- BusinessFinland has launched a nationwide job board to advertise jobs for #English speakers in #Finland. Advertising the open positions in the portal is free of charge for the companies.
- If you are looking for talented games industry professionals in Finland for short or long term hire – please check out ever growing #GamesFactoryTalentBoard and please reach out for details! Also if you are #Talent working in games industry or willing to join the Finnish games industry feel free to apply! https://gamesfactorytalents.com
- Take a look at https://thehub.fi/jobs for the current list of all jobs available in the Finnish Game Industry!
October application period for Finnish Cultural Foundation’s funds is on! Application period lasts until the end of October and games have been on their list for a couple of years. One could also think if games could be applied in the hospitals and other institutions, since they have their own program.
Karim Alian is asking about entry-level positions in game industry
Platonic Partnership developed Lukuliekki game to motivate kids to read more books for the Eepos-libraries. This week the library, which acts as an admin for the game, was awarded with a national recognition for their outstanding work to increase kids interest towards books. Lukuliekki game played a major role in this.
- One of the world’s mightiest supercomputers, LUMI will be located to Kajaani
- Kayo Games shows a new way to learn: visualize The Water Cycle in Augmented Reality.
- First Alpha testing of Solicitude Wake-up on Oculus Quest 2 & Solicitude Wake-up demo version is now available for free on Sidequest.
- The PX Hub: 5 More Persistent and Harmful Player Support Misconceptions That Will Affect the Player Experience
- Unity Finland’s just released financials most of the revenues are going in USA (article only in Finnish.)
- Dave Bradley reminds that if you have a mobile game you’re releasing in November or December, you could be part of Pocket Gamer’s LaunchPad event online. It takes place November 12-14. The last time Pocket Gamer did this, back in July, it had 3 million viewers on Twitch and 38 million people were reached on social media.
- Last chance to sign up – Finnish Game Incubator is closing applications this Friday! Got a great game you’re working on and wondering about the business side of game development? Signups are open to all studios across Finland – fully remote, totally free and you’ll even get an entrepreneurship degree out of it!
- Starting November 2020, apply by 23.10.2020
- Mentors include investors, marketing experts and CEOs
- Courtesy of Tampere Game Hub, city of Tampere and Ahlman
- Totally free, remotely online on Discord, limited spots!