Play Finland’s Weekly Newsletter
In this report we will combine week 7/2021 from the Finnish Game Industry and will be posted every Friday afternoon. Check out the previous post here.
News are gathered from the Play Finland group posts during the week. That is why we recommend you to post by yourself (however not flood) your Finnish Game Industry related news to the group. It also guarantees that your news will be visible in the weekly newsletter /news compilation. Play Finland is at the moment one of the main channels for sharing information inside the industry.
- 25th February Finnish Game Incubator 2021 Online Demo Day – watch online 18.00 GMT+2
- 15-19th March GDC showcase is going all virtual this year.
- 29th March Games Now! open lecture series at Aalto University; “Fostering Playful Experiences with Wearables” (online)
- March 2021(Date tbc) British Academy Games Awards
- Tuesday 2 March 2021 – Nominations announced
- March 2021 (Date tbc) – British Academy Games Awards
- 6-7th April Global Games Pitch ’21 – PC and Console
- 19th April Games Now! open lecture series at Aalto University; “Next Generation of Interactive Streaming” (online)
- 3rd May Games Now! open lecture series at Aalto University; “Art of Learning by Doing – The Great Game Jam Panel” (online)
- 26-28 May Nordic Game Conference
- You’ll get a free ticket for a friend/colleague if you register before 31 March!
- 19th-23rd of July GDC 2021
- 14-15th October W Love Games
See also The Game Industry Events calendar
- Suomen Pelinkehittäjät ry invites all teams and companies who have released an applied/serious game or gamified solution in 2020 to submit their project(s) and chance to receive Applied Game of The Year award at Finnish Game Awards!
- Game students and teams are invited to Apply to Bit1 to boost their career launch in the game industry.
- Supercell announced their 2020 numbers (EUR 1,29 billion & 407million profit). In the interview of Helsingin Sanomat in Ilkka comment’s the problems in liveops, the declining revenue and plans to make a turnaround in Clash Royale. Story only in Finnish.
- Remedy has enjoyed its best year ever, with full-year revenues up 30% to €41.1 million.
- Next Games increased their profitability!
- Rovio swings to Q4 profit, raises dividend
- Neogames is updating the list of games that Finnish Game Developers have released globally during 2020. Make sure that your games are listed!
Open jobs & Recruitment:
- Gamecan is on the lookout for a talented UI/UX Designer who possesses great attention to detail and a passion. How to apply: Portfolio/CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
- BusinessFinland has launched a nationwide job board to advertise jobs for #English speakers in #Finland. Advertising the open positions in the portal is free of charge for the companies.
- If you are looking for talented games industry professionals in Finland for short or long term hire – please check out ever growing #GamesFactoryTalentBoard and please reach out for details! Also if you are #Talent working in games industry or willing to join the Finnish games industry feel free to apply! https://gamesfactorytalents.com
- Take a look at https://thehub.fi/jobs for the current list of all jobs available in the Finnish Game Industry!
Elina Vi asks how do game developers get music for their games? Do they compose it or buy it and if you buy it, where do they buy it from? If they buy it, what kind of music they buy – something that is widely known or something new?
- GDC is going all virtual this year
- Niko Nirvi is someone almost every games industry veteran in Finland knows, but only a few have actually met (article in Finnish only)
- Sheik Mohaideen,a product designer, and running a podcast namely Design radio.
Looking forward to converse with creative, product, design folks in gaming industry to have a short & quality conversation. If you’re interested, feel free to drop a comment.
- Sulake (the developer of Habbo) opens their challenges of changing their game from Flash to Unity
- MiTale has launched the first episode of their podcast serie
- Kayo Games teach how modern aircraft engines work with realistic simulation in Augmented Reality. Try it here, no need to download an app
- Mikko Meriläinen is speaking about sustainable gaming cultures as part of Aalto’s Games Now! series on next Monday