Play Finland’s Weekly Newsletter
In this report we will combine week 11/2020 from the Finnish Game Industry.
News are gathered from the Play Finland group posts during the week. That is why we recommend you to post by yourself (however not flood) your Finnish Game Industry related news to the group. It also guarantees that your news will be visible in the weekly newsletter /news compilation. Play Finland is at the moment one of the main channels for sharing information inside the industry.
We (admins) occasionally publish industry related posts or links in Play Finland. But since there is so many things going on, we don´t even try to cover the whole field.
6.-17th March Game Connection America 18-22nd March; GDC | Game Developers Conference / San Francisco IGDA Mentor Cafe happening again during GDC (19th of March)
- 30th of March Inside the Gaming VCs brain – Webinar
April 1st Games First / Londoncancelled
- 14th April Hyper UA Gamevasion / Copenhagen
- 14.-15th April Bit1 / Helsinki
- 23rd-25th April Reboot Develop Blue / Croatia
24th April Retro Game Jam 2020 / Turku 27-29th May Nordic Game 2020 / Malmö, Sweden
- 16 October W Love Games conference / Helsinki
- Tickets sign-up starts in May and the link is first shared to those who have signed up for W Love Games newsletter. Sign up to a newsletter here.
- 6th of November #XmasJKL 2020 – The Finnish Game Industry Seminar / Jyväskylä
See also The Game Industry Events calendar: http://www.neogames.fi/en/events/eventcalendar
Neogames is creating a tool for the city of Helsinki summarising all key games industry related events in Helsinki
Open jobs & Recruitment:
- Redhill Games is looking for Lead Character Artist.
- Frogmind is Looking for 2 more epic people to join our journey of making awesome mobile games:
1) QA & testing2) Content maker – a versatile mix of level editor & designer. We have something new in the works. No need to know coding this time. If you get games, think you can create cool things with game editors like those in Dreams, Little Big Planet, Trials series or Badland – do contact us quickly. You might be the one we need & we could do very cool things together.Share your motivation with us at email@example.com.
- Games Factory Talents launched new Games focused tech Talent board that helps Talents to land a Dream job at a Games Studio in Helsinki. Please check the positions and companies and APPLY
- Pocket hunt has launched their recruiting app for games people in Finland, Sweden, Germany, the United Kingdom, the Benelux countries, Bangalore and Singapore.
- Jobs in Games: Rovio’s Heini Kaihu on how to get a job as head of studio.
- if people are interested in taking part in ‘Jobs in Games’ series feel free to get in touch with Craig Chapple!
- Take a look at https://thehub.fi/jobs for the current list of all jobs available in the Finnish Game Industry!
- In practice, almost all games industry-related events or bigger meetings have either been postponed or transformed to virtual gatherings in Finland. Please find below the official recommendations from the Finnish Government for workplaces and close contact in recreational and leisure time activities.
- With the spread of COVID-19, the IGDA recommends that you listen to the advice of local government and health organizations especially keeping your teams and their loved ones as safe as possible. The Board of IGDA Finland has decided together with Hub-Leads that IGDA Finland meetups will be postponed until further notice. Safety and well-being of the community has always been IGDA’s main priority. They also want to highlight the IGDA Twitch channel (https://www.twitch.tv/igda ) which runs regularly webinars and hosts IGDA
- E3 2020 officially cancelled over coronavirus fears
- Game Connection America is Cancelled
- Supercell Brawl Stars is on the batch of first 16 foreign games to have received ISBN in 2020 at China Games market!
- On a related news, Chinese regulator has just posed CNY 10 million fine to local publisher who distributed their game without ISBN. The fine is over 10x the revenue this game has, according to media reports, generated. The same news article talks about “era of checking ISBN” having started. Latest by now all foreign game companies should understand that China is not anymore a market for quick gains – You need a proper planned economy style 5-year-plan
- Best tips on working from home (by Licia Prehn)
- Takomo Games released Pocket Roguelike on GooglePlay
- Adventure Islands Games released world swapping puzzle adventure Heart Star on Steam!
- Happy to announce that ORICO interactive is now officially a member of the Distrito Digital Comunitat Valenciana.
- Juha Myllyniemi a student completing his bachelors in Aalto University majoring in international business. He is currently working on his thesis and would require a few interviews from individuals working in the game industry to continue the process. The interviews will be about international teams in the game industry and what drives people abroad. It doesn’t matter if you have no prior international experience, you can discuss hypothetical situations and perceptions as well. In the Google forms link below, you can find more information about the interviews.
- Watch this week UR/UX seminars via stream
- (Article only in Finnish) Game Audio Awards -gaalassa palkittiin viime vuoden parhaat peliaudiot – katso täältä voittajat ja kuvia paikan päältä / Game Audio Award winners were selected on last week.
Back in 2014 Juho-Kustaa Kuorikoski wrote a book titled Sinivalkoinen pelikirja, which covered the history of Finnish game industry from the early 80s to 2014. Now he is writing a sequel for the book titled Pelien Suomi – tarinoita kotimaiselta pelialalta.He has gathered material by interviewing dozens of game developers, so there’s a lot of first-hand information. The book also features best Finnish games released between 2014–2020. The crowd-funding campaign went live just a moment ago, so feel free to check it out, and perhaps contribute.
This is the weekly summary of news from the Finnish game industry. If you want to have your news on the list, post them on the Play Finland Facebook group. The summary will be posted every Friday afternoon. Check out previous week’s list.