Play Finland’s Weekly Newsletter
In this report we will combine the week 11/2018 from the Finnish Game Industry.
News are gathered from the Play Finland group posts during the week. That is why we recommend you to post by yourself (however not flood) your Finnish Game Industry related news to the group. It also guarantees that your news will be visible in the weekly newsletter /news compilation. Play Finland is at the moment one of the main channels for sharing information inside the industry.
- March 19th GDC Nordic Breakfast workshop for Nordic game developers.
- March 19th Invite: Games Capital Meet-up in SF at 19:00
- March 19th-31st. Game Connection America
- March 21st-23rd Game Jam coming in Oulu for students!
- March 19th-23rd; GDC / San Francisco
- April 24th Finnish Game Awards
- Apri 24-25th The University of Tampere Game Research Lab Spring Seminar, Making Games.
- May 8th Games First / Helsinki
- May 23-25 Nordic Game Conference / Malmö, Sweden
See also The Game Industry Events calendar: http://www.neogames.fi/en/events/eventcalendar
- Last days to apply to become a Summer Trainee at Rovio! Check out the open positions here: https://www.rovio.com/careers/
- Open positions at Helsinki Vocational College (Stadin ammattiopisto):
– Game programming teacher
– Game art (2D/3D) / Game production teacher
– Animation (2D/3D) teacher
- The Housemarque family is looking for new members to work on our exceptional unannounced projects. Go to housemarque.com/careers and apply today!
- 700+ game companies in the Nordics to get an overview of game development jobs available right now. Currently 440 job openings in Denmark, Sweden, Finland and Norway – browse through them at http://gameform.eu/
- More jobs at gamesjobs.fi
- Games Factory is now taking applications and will be open for business before the Summer. Soon to host between 15 and 20 studios and service providers in-house, they are looking at having a full 200 people hosted in this embassy of the Finnish gaming industry. Apply online
- Panic Art Studios is developing new game East Found
- A cloud service for mobile gaming isn’t as dumb as it sounds
- Excellent IMGA & China Game Days held in Helsinki. Big thanks to MyGamez & IMGA & City Of Helsinki for organizing!
- Finnish game educators? Are you going to GDC this year? Please inform Annakaisa Kultima on the comments or with pm, so that I can advertise you on this panel already on Monday.
- Want to sell your company? Raise money? Got other biz dev questions? Here’s your chance to ask an expert! Jon Kimmich is speaking at NG18 and wants you to tell him what he should speak about. Formulate any business related questions you may have and post them here – questions selected by Jon will be answered on stage in May!
- 3rd Eye Studios on PlayStation‘s Youtube channel
- UP a Cave has 150k downloads and was also selected one of the best iOS games of February by AppAdvice
- Important information regarding VAT:
“VAT is now based on the customer’s country of residence instead of being the same across all EU territories.
Note that prices for apps on the App Store include VAT, while the developer’s proceeds are calculated after VAT is deducted. The pricing matrix is available via the My Apps module in iTunes Connect. Select an app, and the blue link for VIEW PRICING MATRIX is visible under Rights and Pricing. Additional information is available in your Schedule 2 Contract.
The supply from iTunes S.a.r.l. is subject to VAT when sold to EU consumers under the existing EU Business-to-Consumer place of supply rules for electronic content. Under the commissionaire structure, the commissionaire is required to account for VAT as though entering into a buy / sell transaction with the consumer. iTunes will account for VAT as though we made the sale in our own name.
We do not provide information verifying that VAT has been paid. All details in relation to how the downloads are taxed is readily available in the developer agreement.
The EU commission is calculated net of applicable VAT which is collected by Apple and remitted to the local tax authorities under it’s own registration number.”
- “It is great to work in such a respected gaming community”
- Nitro Games got the game Medals of War featured by Apple in the category “best new updates” in 73 countries! press release, Redeye article, Medals of War IOS and Medals of War Beta Android
- Space Haven under development
- Game AI lecture on Monday on Games Now! Julian Togelius from New York University (NYU) is giving a talk on AI and games
- Elina Arponen is sharing (in Medium) excellent tips to handle stress in entrepreneurship
- Guess the four companies (based on pictures in FB post) the Game Executive program 2018 is going to visit and win a free ticket to the Monetization in Games Seminar. Submissions via email firstname.lastname@example.org, one winner will be picked next Friday March 16, 2018 at 16:00.
This is the weekly summary of news from the Finnish game industry. If you want to have your news on the list, post them on the Play Finland Facebook group. The summary will be posted every Friday afternoon. Check out previous week’s list.