Play Finland’s Weekly Newsletter
In this report we will combine week 11/2019 from the Finnish Game Industry.
News are gathered from the Play Finland group posts during the week. That is why we recommend you to post by yourself (however not flood) your Finnish Game Industry related news to the group. It also guarantees that your news will be visible in the weekly newsletter /news compilation. Play Finland is at the moment one of the main channels for sharing information inside the industry.
- Games Now Spring 2019 program:
- James Wootton: Games for Quantum Computers – Games Now! lecture series
- 11th March
“Check your Assumptions – Making the Most of User Experience Research”
Inger Ekman, DICE/Electronic Arts
@ Design Factory/Streamed, 15-17 EET
“Playing with grief: What participatory game design can do for mourners.”
Sabine Harrer, Copenhagen Game Collective
@ Learning Centre/Streamed, 15-17 EET
“Why Godot Right Now?”
Ariel Manzur, Godot Engine
@ Learning Centre/Otaniemi
Games Now! Jam
- 17th March International Conference on Game Jams, Hackathons and Game Creation Events / San Francisco
- 19th March Nordic GDC Breakfast Workshop by Nordic Innovation House / San Francisco
- 19th March; 15th International Mobile Gaming Awards Global Ceremony & After Party – General Admission / San Francisco
- 18-19th March Game Connection America / San Francisco
- see the Nordic Offer DL feb. 6th
- Helsinki based game start-ups (less than 5 years of age) can apply Helsinki travel grants to GC America participation. There is also a quota of 4 Helsinki companies who can participate free to GC . Everything works by first come first served bases. More info about that from Henrik Keinonen. https://newcohelsinki.fi/fi/meista/
- 18th-22 March Game Developers Conference
- 20th March Awesome opportunity to see critically acclaimed “The Name of the Game” at The 2nd Annual GDC Film Festival! Wednesday, March 20, 2019 2:10 PM (PST) / San Francisco
- 6th March Women in Games Finland will a have meeting on March 26, 5 PM at for founding the NGO Games Factory
- 6th April IT and Games Job Fair Helsinki 2019
- April 11-12th; GameDev Days 2019 / Tallinn
- 22-24th May Nordic Game Conference / Malmö
- 50% off on conference passes to Nordic Game 2019, 22-24 May in Malmö, Sweden. This counts until midnight, January 3rd.
- CHRISTMAS PRESENT TO THIS GROUP: the first 10 to select this group in the menu and enter this code, NG19PF5MLGG4, will get the Dinner Experience for free!
- 28-30 May. Casual Connect in London;
See also The Game Industry Events calendar: http://www.neogames.fi/en/events/eventcalendar
Neogames is creating a tool for the city of Helsinki summarising all key games industry related events in Helsinki
Open jobs & Recruitment
- Devaus-ope haussa; Etsimme pelinkehitysopettajaa Mediastadiin (Stadin ammatti- ja aikuisopiston media-alan yksikkö, Arabia). / Dev teach wanted; We are searching for a game development teacher to Mediastadi (Helsinki Vocational College, Media, Arabia).
- Petteri Kolehmainen would like to buy some consultancy; “We’re working on a large virtual reality project, which isn’t quite a game, but has “gamey” scenes. We’ve worked already with a gamification company to make the experience as user engaging as possible, but the customer would want tips still from seasoned game developer. SO, if you’ve worked with engaging games and know how to make users come back again and again, please be in touch – I’d like to buy some consultancy time from you! PM here or call 0504862530. Thanks!”
- Get your self matched in Game Factory Talents. Find your place in the Finnish Games Industry
- Games Factory Talents have introduced a new platform to make your talent visible for the game studios. They are building a community of developers to showcase, making it easier for the game studios to find the talent they need.
- “Instead of building a platform only for job seeking game industry professionals, we wanted a platform where the game studios could come and meet the talent even before they start the long and expensive process of advertising an open job position. Our Talent Board features industry professionals from all levels of experience to most of the various positions studios might be looking to fill”, explains Kim Bäckroos, CEO of the newly formed Games Factory Talents.
- New talent is being added to the Talent Board constantly, and Games Factory Talents are inviting all industry professionals and game studios to take part. Head over Games Factory Talents to look at the talent and job positions available and make yourself visible for the hiring studios.Follow Games Factory Talents on social media for the latest news and information on any upcoming talent acquisition events.
- Are you looking for game industry professionals to join your team? Oleg Paliy & José Jácome
are inviting you to join our recruitment event in Kiev in December. You will have a chance to pre-screen the candidates in advance and conduct f2f interviews on the spot. You can also join our #PlayFinland stand at the biggest local #gamedev conference Games Gathering, this way you can combine recruitment and business meetings.
- Jobs in Games: Rovio’s Heini Kaihu on how to get a job as head of studio.
- if people are interested in taking part in ‘Jobs in Games’ series feel free to get in touch with Craig Chapple!
- Curious on how to enter the Games Industry? On March 1st, during the Futures Day, one of the topics discussed on our stream was just that! Take a look and see what industry veterans have to say on the topic. If you know what your skills are, and just need a place to apply them, take a look at http://www.devs.tv/jobs/ for the current list of all jobs available in the Finnish Game Industry!
- See the newest teaser of Iron Danger
- Gregory Pellechi latest episode of Video Game Sauna; Ever wondered what it takes to organize a con like #GDC19, start smaller. Try @GamesHelsinki!
- If you think “The Name of the Game” is a perfect movie to receive a viewer’s favorite Jussi (Finnish Oscar), I hope you’ll vote! Here’s the link! (Scroll down a bit you you’ll find the right movie)
- Here’s how much money Rovio’s mobile games are making
- Submissions are open now for bit.ly/IndiePrize2019!
- Platonic Partnership is finalizing a demo of King of Peasants for GDC. Check the super awesome teaser
- New video from Project: Longtail
- Grand Cru CFO Celine Pasula: “Don’t be scared of going after the job you really want”
- MiTale CEO Natasha Trygg: “Try everything that games development has to offer and do not be afraid to fail”
This is the weekly summary of news from the Finnish game industry. If you want to have your news on the list, post them on the Play Finland Facebook group. The summary will be posted every Friday afternoon. Check out previous week’s list.