Play Finland’s Weekly Newsletter
In this report we will combine week 16/2019 from the Finnish Game Industry.
News are gathered from the Play Finland group posts during the week. That is why we recommend you to post by yourself (however not flood) your Finnish Game Industry related news to the group. It also guarantees that your news will be visible in the weekly newsletter /news compilation. Play Finland is at the moment one of the main channels for sharing information inside the industry.
- 18th April: bi-weekly Game Day at The Shortcut in Maria 01 / Helsinki
- 24th April IGDA Finland Turku Hub April Gathering with BugByte
- Games Now Spring 2019 program:
- James Wootton: Games for Quantum Computers – Games Now! lecture series
- 11th March
“Check your Assumptions – Making the Most of User Experience Research”
Inger Ekman, DICE/Electronic Arts
@ Learning Centre/Streamed, 15-17 EET
“Why Godot Right Now?”
Ariel Manzur, Godot Engine
@ Learning Centre/Otaniemi
Games Now! Jam
- 25th April Miten kulttuuri pelillistetään? / Helsinki
- 25th April The Finnish Game Awards 2019 (SOLD OUT)
- 23rd May Programming Human-like AI Through Game Methodologies / Helsinki
- 22-24th May Nordic Game Conference / Malmö
- 50% off on conference passes to Nordic Game 2019, 22-24 May in Malmö, Sweden. This counts until midnight, January 3rd.
- CHRISTMAS PRESENT TO THIS GROUP: the first 10 to select this group in the menu and enter this code, NG19PF5MLGG4, will get the Dinner Experience for free!
- 28-30 May. Casual Connect in London;
- 4th June Helsinki Startup Day
See also The Game Industry Events calendar: http://www.neogames.fi/en/events/eventcalendar
Neogames is creating a tool for the city of Helsinki summarising all key games industry related events in Helsinki
Open jobs & Recruitment
- Composer Lauri Koskenniemi with a burning passion for video games & video game music and is currently looking for new games to score. Check the Demo Reel
- Still Running hakee environment artistia, joka osaisi myös konseptien luovan taidon.
- Get your self matched in Game Factory Talents. Find your place in the Finnish Games Industry
- Games Factory Talents have introduced a new platform to make your talent visible for the game studios. They are building a community of developers to showcase, making it easier for the game studios to find the talent they need.
- “Instead of building a platform only for job seeking game industry professionals, we wanted a platform where the game studios could come and meet the talent even before they start the long and expensive process of advertising an open job position. Our Talent Board features industry professionals from all levels of experience to most of the various positions studios might be looking to fill”, explains Kim Bäckroos, CEO of the newly formed Games Factory Talents.
- New talent is being added to the Talent Board constantly, and Games Factory Talents are inviting all industry professionals and game studios to take part. Head over Games Factory Talents to look at the talent and job positions available and make yourself visible for the hiring studios.Follow Games Factory Talents on social media for the latest news and information on any upcoming talent acquisition events.
- Jobs in Games: Rovio’s Heini Kaihu on how to get a job as head of studio.
- if people are interested in taking part in ‘Jobs in Games’ series feel free to get in touch with Craig Chapple!
- Curious on how to enter the Games Industry? On March 1st, during the Futures Day, one of the topics discussed on our stream was just that! Take a look and see what industry veterans have to say on the topic. If you know what your skills are, and just need a place to apply them, take a look at http://www.devs.tv/jobs/ for the current list of all jobs available in the Finnish Game Industry!
- Casual tank-battler Hills of Steel rolls its way past 22 million downloads
- Weekly global mobile games charts: Clash of Clans the US top grosser thanks to new Gold Pass
- Last week Boom Slingers – Battle Cards won two prizes at GameDevDays 2019!
- Peliala on noussut Suomen suurimmaksi veronmaksajaksi, ja sen tähti Supercell Suomen suurimpien yhteisöveronmaksajien joukkoon. Yksi yhtiön perustajista, toimitusjohtaja Ilkka Paananen sanoo, että Supercellin menestys on johtunut myös onnesta, jota yhtiö haluaa nyt levittää takaisin yhteiskuntaan.
- Nitro Games has received a positive decision from Business Finland to receive approximately 1.6M EUR of funding for a mobile esports project.
- Supercell’s Games First will not be in Helsinki 2019 but in London 2020. Stay tuned for more details later this year!
- Suomen Pelitoimialaa kartoittava raportti on julkistettu / The Finnish Game Industry report is out: The Finnish game industry has become more professional and well established. The industry has matured to be more than two billion Euro annual business. However, this level of stability is seen as a stepping store to new growth, and not as a satisfactory achievement. The industry remains dynamic.
Awards & Competions;
- The Indie Games Showcase from Google Play
Their international competition for indie game developers from Europe, Japan & South Korea. Deadline for entries is May 6, 2019.
- Check the The Official Beautiful Teaser Trailer for King of Peasants, by Platonic Partnership
- Mygamez post what a wildly successful Chinese game looks like: Ninja Must Die 3 – Deep dive into a Chinese hit
- Lahdessa on nyt mahdollista kouluttautua e-urheilun ammattilaiseksi! Opetus perustuu liikunnanohjauksen perustutkinnon tutkinnon perusteisiin ja se toteutetaan e-urheilun näkökulmasta. Lue lisää ja hae mukaan 30.6. mennessä!
- (Only in Finnish) Primary school pupils learn game development in Kajaani
This is the weekly summary of news from the Finnish game industry. If you want to have your news on the list, post them on the Play Finland Facebook group. The summary will be posted every Friday afternoon. Check out previous week’s list.