Play Finland’s Weekly Newsletter
In this report we will combine week 19/2019 from the Finnish Game Industry.
News are gathered from the Play Finland group posts during the week. That is why we recommend you to post by yourself (however not flood) your Finnish Game Industry related news to the group. It also guarantees that your news will be visible in the weekly newsletter /news compilation. Play Finland is at the moment one of the main channels for sharing information inside the industry.
- Games Now Spring 2019 program:
- James Wootton: Games for Quantum Computers – Games Now! lecture series
- 11th March
“Check your Assumptions – Making the Most of User Experience Research”
Inger Ekman, DICE/Electronic Arts
6th May AT 15:00
@ Learning Centre/Otaniemi
- 20th-21st May China Game Day Helsinki
- 20th May Supercell and Space Ape Games are hosting The Finland Unity User Group MeetUp
- Prototyping Multiplayer Games: Balancing Creative and Technical Constraints – Ben Crane, Space Ape Games.
- Go with the Flow : Inside Space Ape’s UI juice box – Nicoll Hunt, Space Ape Games.
- 22-24th May Nordic Game Conference / Malmö
- May 28th. The Unreal Engine meetup group is visiting Housemarque for their first company visit!
- May 28thDevs Talk is coming again and will focus on Talent and Recruitment! Talent is universal in our industry, but opportunities are local. How do you find that talent? How do you recruit them? What do you need to keep in mind?
- 28-30 May. Casual Connect in London;
- 4th June Helsinki Startup Day
- 18-20th June Finnish Game Day 2019 in St. Petersburg, Russia. The signup for Finnish studios here
See also The Game Industry Events calendar: http://www.neogames.fi/en/events/eventcalendar
Neogames is creating a tool for the city of Helsinki summarising all key games industry related events in Helsinki
Open jobs & Recruitment
- Redhill Games just announced a few open positions. If you like tactical shooters and want to work with a solid crew, this may be for you.
- Get your self matched in Game Factory Talents. Find your place in the Finnish Games Industry
- Games Factory Talents have introduced a new platform to make your talent visible for the game studios. They are building a community of developers to showcase, making it easier for the game studios to find the talent they need.
- “Instead of building a platform only for job seeking game industry professionals, we wanted a platform where the game studios could come and meet the talent even before they start the long and expensive process of advertising an open job position. Our Talent Board features industry professionals from all levels of experience to most of the various positions studios might be looking to fill”, explains Kim Bäckroos, CEO of the newly formed Games Factory Talents.
- New talent is being added to the Talent Board constantly, and Games Factory Talents are inviting all industry professionals and game studios to take part. Head over Games Factory Talents to look at the talent and job positions available and make yourself visible for the hiring studios.Follow Games Factory Talents on social media for the latest news and information on any upcoming talent acquisition events.
- Are you looking for game industry professionals to join your team? Oleg Paliy & José Jácome
are inviting you to join our recruitment event in Kiev in December. You will have a chance to pre-screen the candidates in advance and conduct f2f interviews on the spot. You can also join our #PlayFinland stand at the biggest local #gamedev conference Games Gathering, this way you can combine recruitment and business meetings.
- Jobs in Games: Rovio’s Heini Kaihu on how to get a job as head of studio.
- if people are interested in taking part in ‘Jobs in Games’ series feel free to get in touch with Craig Chapple!
- Curious on how to enter the Games Industry? On March 1st, during the Futures Day, one of the topics discussed on our stream was just that! Take a look and see what industry veterans have to say on the topic. If you know what your skills are, and just need a place to apply them, take a look at http://www.devs.tv/jobs/ for the current list of all jobs available in the Finnish Game Industry!
- Onnea opinnäytetykilpailun voittajille: Isabella Aura (yliopistosarja) ja Selja Tanskanen (amk-sarja)! sekä tietysti kunniamaininnan saanneille; Minnan Vasarainen, Ville Nikande sekä Lauri Kuusela.
- Bit1 game awards selected the best Finnish student game of 2019. The competition is created in collaboration with the Finnish game industry professionals and the educators of the field. Read more from Metropolia UAS’s news!
- Kim Soares is ooking for an art outsource studio for creating and animating lots of 2D characters.
- Kuusi tarinaa Kansainvälisen kasvun johtamisesta; Miten strategiasta saadaan koko henkilöstön yhteinen tahtotila? Case Remedy
- China Game Day: During the Tuesday afternoon session Tencent MyApp team will be introducing their new Gaming Buddy platform (not to be confused with WeGame) and they’re interested to meet up with PC game developers interested in China distribution.
- Rumble Stars has reached 5 million players
- Elina Lappalainen is looking for Finnish Game Studios visiting in Norc Game Conf. She is interested about it to Talouselämä. Contact: email@example.com
- Immobile Games just kicked off an open beta (in Finland and other countries) for new pvp kart racer, “Boom Karts”.
- Gregory Pellechi released another episode of Video Game Sauna Saara Honkanen, Writer at Awareness Recreated, and Brooke Maggs from Remedy, came on to talk Narrative Design
- Oceanhorn – The Adventure Video Game: Ray Chase is the voice of our villain in Oceanhorn 2
- Hologram Monster is now 2 years old as a company
- The 2019 Yle Beta Day Video is out. What happens when our biology is digital and online? What are the new opportunities and the ethics in the age of digital doubles and virtual humans? Keynote by Amanda Solosky, the Co-founder and co-CEO of Rival Theory, a company creating human-like AI – followed by an expert panel including Media Artist Hanna Haaslahti and Helsinki University Research Professor on Cognitive Science Silja Martikainen. Yle Beta Demo on Social Robotics by Robot Designer Minja Axelsson and Gaming Guru Joonas Lintunen. Yle Beta site concept introduced by Milla Moisio.
- After 14 months of development, Hills of Steel 2 by Superplus Games is in soft launch on iOS and Android
- Lightneer siirtyi Big Bang -opetuspelin jälkeen hyper casualiin. (vain Talouselämän tilaajille)
- Finnish entertainment innovations (eSports, media etc.) wanted in the UK!
- Mika Kuusisto wrote a piece about company building and Kopla’s road to creating their upcoming game Nonstop Knight 2
- China Game Day on next week! Conference agenda has been released, and what a beast of an agenda it is!!! Check it out, especially the never-before-seen Deconstruction Workshop with GameRefinery and Chinese appstores. + super cool networking party, thanks to Lexia! Register your free ticket here
This is the weekly summary of news from the Finnish game industry. If you want to have your news on the list, post them on the Play Finland Facebook group. The summary will be posted every Friday afternoon. Check out previous week’s list.