Play Finland’s Weekly Newsletter
In this report we will combine week 41/2018 from the Finnish Game Industry.
News are gathered from the Play Finland group posts during the week. That is why we recommend you to post by yourself (however not flood) your Finnish Game Industry related news to the group. It also guarantees that your news will be visible in the weekly newsletter /news compilation. Play Finland is at the moment one of the main channels for sharing information inside the industry.
- 12-14th Oct. Dash team is organising Europe´s biggest design hackathon in Helsinki Kattilahalli.
- Eight amazing design challenges to solve from our partners also including a Game Design challenge from EA games. APPLY NOW! (the application period closes on Sunday 16th of September) More info
- 16th Oct. IGDA Helsinki Hub October seminar + gathering with Next Games
- 18th Oct. Gaming and esports event, Grail Quest – Pelifestari 2018 / Turku
- October 19th Monetization in Games: Past, Present and Future – ft. John Romero / Helsinki
- 24th-26th October, Join Neogames and the Nordics at Game Connection Europe / Paris
- 10th Nov. DevCon Tampere 2018
- 10-11th November. Theme Park. Digital art rally 2018 / Kouvola
- 14th Nov. Xmasjkl – The Finnish Game Industry Seminar / Jyväskylä
- First patch of Speaker announcements!
- Mika Rahko, Futureplay
- Lauri Vuohensilta, Hydraulic Press Channel
- Adam Sporka, Composer, Kingdom Come Deliverance
- Jussi Immonen, Nitro Games
..and more announcements coming soon!We are super happy to have COOL people coming again as a our speaker to 2018 event at Jyväskylä, Central Finland
Ticket sales are open! Early Bird Prices -10% are available until 21.10.2018
The Finnish Game Industry Seminar now annual event already 4th time!
- 19-23 November 2018, Nanjing: IMGA Judging Sessions, China Game Design Seminar and the Awards Ceremony & Parties
- 22 November Manse Games Event / Tampere
- Teut Weidemann joins to talk about F2P game monetisation.
- Petri Ikonen. The talk will focus on how the studio overcame the obstacles of designing a F2P mobile game from a well-loved IP, and how their design thinking has changed during production and running the live service.
- Third speaker will be Co-Founder of GameRefinery Joel Julkunen. Joel will be comparing the US mobile game market with several Asian markets and focus on their differences in various areas. During this talk we will learn which genres, game features & mechanics and visual styles are hot and which are not.
- 23-25 November Junction / Helsinki
- 4-5th Dec. Slush
- 25-27th January Global Game Jam if you want to run a site, apply now!
- 22-24th May Nordic Game Conference / Helsinki
See also The Game Industry Events calendar: http://www.neogames.fi/en/events/eventcalendar
- Seriously is looking for seniors and juniors:
-Senior/Lead QA Coordinator
-Junior Game Programmer
-Director, Data Science
Check out all the openings from their website.
- Get your self matched in Game Factory Talents. Find your place in the Finnish Games Industry
- Games Factory Talents have introduced a new platform to make your talent visible for the game studios. They are building a community of developers to showcase, making it easier for the game studios to find the talent they need.
- “Instead of building a platform only for job seeking game industry professionals, we wanted a platform where the game studios could come and meet the talent even before they start the long and expensive process of advertising an open job position. Our Talent Board features industry professionals from all levels of experience to most of the various positions studios might be looking to fill”, explains Kim Bäckroos, CEO of the newly formed Games Factory Talents.
- New talent is being added to the Talent Board constantly, and Games Factory Talents are inviting all industry professionals and game studios to take part. Head over Games Factory Talents to look at the talent and job positions available and make yourself visible for the hiring studios.Follow Games Factory Talents on social media for the latest news and information on any upcoming talent acquisition events.
- Jobs in Games: Rovio’s Heini Kaihu on how to get a job as head of studio.
- if people are interested in taking part in ‘Jobs in Games’ series feel free to get in touch with Craig Chapple!
- Direlight Ltd Grimvalor rolled out on the App Store worldwide
- Fortniten luonut Epic Games osti suomalaisyrityksen – Kamun (Easy Anti Cheat) ohjelmisto estää peleissä huijaamista
- After a killer pitch battle at KGS in Kajaani, Red Stage Entertainment and their game Polar Night took the prize.
- Based on Sámi mythology, Skábma – Polar Night follows the journey of the young Áilu, as the child treks through Sámiland and the spirit Worlds to restore balance between light and dark.
- As winner of the Discovery Contest qualifier, Red Stage Entertainment wins a spot in the NGDC Grand Finals at NG19 next May, as well as PR services from Plan of Attack and Mail.ru.
- Read more details. Camp for hosting the NGDC qualifier!* Learn more about GameDevCamp. A big thanks as well to the organisers of the Northern Game Summit for another great event, and for welcoming the NGDC back to Kajaani.* Read more about NGDC
- Neogames is updating the list of active Finnish Game Developers. Please see the list from the link. Please let us know (in this post or suviATneogamesDOTfi) if your company is missing. It is required that listed company is registered in YTJ and is regularly releasing games or is developing those in full time.
- Neogames is listing Finnish games released globally (and for first time) on 2018. Please help and make sure that yours are listed! and please let suviATneogamesDOTfi know if there are mistakes.
Recommendations from Play Finland community;
- Pablo Jordi is recommending these two books about the “Golden Age” of Spanish gaming industry (1983-1992). Really interesting and thought-provoking if you:
a) read Spanish
b) were part of the 8bit gaming thing
- Jami Laes is asking for recommendation “Suomalaiset peliyritykset, keneltä olette saaneet parhaimman setupin toimiston nettiyhteyteen, asennukseen ja netin toimivuuteen, wifisetuppiin, puhelinliittymiin jne.?”
- Check out what Northern Game Summit – NGS looks like from an attendee/speaker’s perspective
- Centrian Game Labin seuraava koulutus Pelipaja alkaa 14.1.2019! Hae mukaan
- Sleepy Sentry released new story trailer for Stirring Abyss & Indiegogo campaign is live.
- Löytyykö Pöay Finland jäseniltä ja yrityksiltä hyväkuntoisia ja itselle tarpeettomia pelejä ja pelilaitteita? Peliviikko järjestää Hope ry:n kanssa Pelit kiertoon! -pelikeräyksen 20 paikkakunnalla. Keräykseen lahjoitetut pelit ja pelilaitteet toimitetaan vähävaraisille lapsiperheille, äkillisiä kriisejä kohdanneille lapsiperheille sekä huostaanotetuille lapsille. Lähimmän keräyspisteen voi tarkistaa Peliviikon sivuilta. Peliviikko on mediakasvatuksen teemaviikko, jonka tavoitteena on rakentaa positiivista pelikulttuuria ja vähentää pelaamiseen ja pelaajiin liittyviä ennakkoluuloja. Peliviikon suojelijana toimii tänä vuonna Jimm’s PC-Store.
- Calling for speakers for the next GameDev Days conference in Tallinn 11-12 April, 2019! Share your knowledge and stories with over 600 devs in welcoming environment of KultuuriKatel.
- Submit your talk here:
- For partnerships and other information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or PM Marianna Krjakvina
- Games Now! Lecture: An Introduction to Blockchain Gaming with Jon Jordan (Accidental Gizmo).
- vote for Finnish Game Connection Europe 2018 Development Awards nominees:
- Pixel Worlds is nominated in the Game Connection’s People’s Choice category where the game with most likes win!
- Thief of Thieves: Season One
- Barotrauma a phenomenal open-source co-development with FakeFish and UndertowGames
This is the weekly summary of news from the Finnish game industry. If you want to have your news on the list, post them on the Play Finland Facebook group. The summary will be posted every Friday afternoon. Check out previous week’s list.