Play Finland’s Weekly Newsletter
In this report we will combine weeks 46/2019 from the Finnish Game Industry.
News are gathered from the Play Finland group posts during the week. That is why we recommend you to post by yourself (however not flood) your Finnish Game Industry related news to the group. It also guarantees that your news will be visible in the weekly newsletter /news compilation. Play Finland is at the moment one of the main channels for sharing information inside the industry.
- 15 NOV-17 NOV Meet the Educational institutes of Game Studies @GameXpo MessukeskusHelsinki
- 15th November W Games Conference 2019
- Sophie VO
- Gabriele Aimone
- Ekaterina Dolgova from Redhill Games
- Nikolina Zidar talking about her work in making most unique game studio in Finland!
- Anna Salomaa from Resistance Games
- Rebekka Muntola from PlayStack
- Anu from Housemarque
- Osama Dorias from WB Games Montreal
- Jani Kahrama from Secret Exit!
- Karoliina Korppoo from 10th Muse
- Regina Lindström will host “Lego Serious Play workshop: Impostor Syndrome”
- Johannes Koski from Housemarque!
- 16-17th November Aalto university agreed to hosts Theme Park. A digital art rally!
- 18th November Workshop: How to Become a Concept Artist? / Pori
- 19th November; Press Start invites 1,000 game developers to the Cable Factory for a free kick-off to the Slush Week.
- No middleware, no service providers – just games. Attendance is free and by application only. Apply here slush.org/press-start
- Learn from industry veterans, connect with peers, get a glimpse into some up-and-coming games and meet a pool of investors. And let’s not forget the after-party.
- The first speakers and open applications to the event will be released in August.
- applications opened up for live demo showcase at Press Start. This time you can forget your presentations – it’s all about playing live!
- if you are coming to Press Start – Kickoff Event by Slush and want to share it, attend to the fb event on the link.
- Gaming startups x investors breakfast is a networking opportunity to find promising gaming startups and investors.
Nordic Game is coming to Helsinki on 19 November and would love to meetwith Finnish Game Developers for drinks and a chat about our potential future together in “Kaapelitehdas” Rooftop Sauna Verner, 11:00-16:00Tallberginkatu 1 c 8 krs
- November 20th Game-based UX & Cognitive Science Masterclass / Helsinki
- November 22th Games UR/UX Finland Meet Up / Helsinki
- November 25th – December 3rd; Gamification Group is organizing a workshop series about wearables, games and extended reality.
Application Form: https://bit.ly/wearxrworkshopApplication Deadline: 20.11.2019Notification of Acceptance: 21.11.2019
- 16th Dec. IGDA Lahti Christmas Gathering / Lahti
- 3rd of March Game Audio Awards 2020
- 14th April Hyper UA Gamevasion / Copenhagen
See also The Game Industry Events calendar: http://www.neogames.fi/en/events/eventcalendar
Neogames is creating a tool for the city of Helsinki summarising all key games industry related events in Helsinki
Open jobs & Recruitment
- Games Factory Talents have introduced a new platform to make your talent visible for the game studios. They are building a community of developers to showcase, making it easier for the game studios to find the talent they need.
- “Instead of building a platform only for job seeking game industry professionals, we wanted a platform where the game studios could come and meet the talent even before they start the long and expensive process of advertising an open job position. Our Talent Board features industry professionals from all levels of experience to most of the various positions studios might be looking to fill”, explains Kim Bäckroos, CEO of the newly formed Games Factory Talents.
- New talent is being added to the Talent Board constantly, and Games Factory Talents are inviting all industry professionals and game studios to take part. Head over Games Factory Talents to look at the talent and job positions available and make yourself visible for the hiring studios.Follow Games Factory Talents on social media for the latest news and information on any upcoming talent acquisition events.
- Jobs in Games: Rovio’s Heini Kaihu on how to get a job as head of studio.
- if people are interested in taking part in ‘Jobs in Games’ series feel free to get in touch with Craig Chapple!
- Take a look at https://thehub.fi/jobs for the current list of all jobs available in the Finnish Game Industry!
- 22 mobile games that have generated more than $1 billion in lifetime sales. Four of those were developped by Supercell.
- Milja Linnea Suilamo tekee arkkitehdin diplomityötä koskien videopeliteollisuuden avaamia mahdollisuuksia arkkitehtuurissa ja kyselee oletko työllistynyt arkkitehtinä (huom. ei ohjemistoarkkitehti) videopelien parissa, tai tunnetko jonkun, joka on? Tuleeko muuta kiinnostavaa mieleen aiheeseen liittyen? / Milja Linnea Suilamo is writing a thesis about the possibilities the video game industry opens up for architecture. Are you employed as an architect (Note: Not a software architect) in video game business, or do you know someone who is?
- Suvi Latva is encouraging to share the best tips on raising investment money;
- What is truly unique in your concept/idea? (unfair advantage)
- Team & Execution. Can you execute your idea? (credibility of your team)
- Is there market for that – Will it make money?
- Products can fail, investors look the company and team too not only the product.
- How much money do you need and how would you use it?
- How will the investor get their money back multiplied?
- What kind of metrics do you have to validate your company growth using the fund?
- How high do the founders aim? Are they completely fine with €1M of revenue or are they aiming to make the next block-buster game.
- Meet the Educational institutes of Game Studies @GameXpo Messukeskuson FRI, 15 NOV-17 NOV Helsinki
- Ubisoft Studio Redlynx Trials has gone long way in 20 years. Trials Rising: The Best Decoration of Track Central
- To mark the 10th anniversary of Angry Birds, Rovio has launched a new campaign. In site update, Rovio revealed its new motion, “Bring the Anger”. 10 years on, Rovio looks to turn Angry Birds’ anger into positive thinking
- Utopos Games is hosting Utopos Games Popup Lounge in Forum all next week. They’ll serve drinks and snacks, and give the first glimpse of their two upcoming games. Company is based in Las Vegas so this is your rare chance to meet them in person!
- Zsuzsa James will be in town for Slush next week! She is going to Press Start, Ready to Launch, and the main event, so ping her for a meeting if you want to talk shop about your internationalization plans in the US
- Participate to Games UR/UX Workshop Survey
- November 25th – December 3rd; Gamification Group is organizing a workshop series about wearables, games and extended reality. Application Deadline: 20.11.2019
- New videos from the Arctic Game Conference in Skellefteå.
- The Centre of Excellence in Game Culture Studies and Tampere University Game Research Lab are happy to announce two new appointments: in January 2020, Kati Alha will start as Lecturer of Game Studies, and Usva Friman will start as the Main Coordinator and Researcher in the CoE.
- Nordic Game is coming to Helsinki on 19 November and would love to meet
with Finnish Game Developers for drinks and a chat about our potential future together in “Kaapelitehdas” Rooftop Sauna Verner, 11:00-16:00 Tallberginkatu 1 c 8 krs
- Keskivertosuomalainen käyttää mobiilipeleihin muutaman euron kuukaudessa, mutta peliyhtiöille vapaaehtoiset maksut ovat kultakaivos / The average Finnish household spends 4,2€ a month on mobile games (Article in Finnish)
- Pro Pilkki 1 täytti 5.11.2019 jo 20 vuotta! Juhlan kunniaksi olemme muistaneet myös vanhaa peliä julkaisemalla siitä jo aiemmin itsenäisen dosbox-version, mutta nyt pamahtaa jotain ihan kokonaan uutta. / Pro Pilkki game turns 20 years and released now as dosbox version.
- Mikaeli Panula, our Junior Environment Artist at Redhill Games, shares his awesome internship experience.
- EGD 029: Founding Success Through Idle Games with Tim Reiter Co-Founder Kolibri Games
This is the weekly summary of news from the Finnish game industry. If you want to have your news on the list, post them on the Play Finland Facebook group. The summary will be posted every Friday afternoon. Check out previous week’s list.