Play Finland’s Weekly Newsletter
In this report we will combine week 46/2018 from the Finnish Game Industry.
News are gathered from the Play Finland group posts during the week. That is why we recommend you to post by yourself (however not flood) your Finnish Game Industry related news to the group. It also guarantees that your news will be visible in the weekly newsletter /news compilation. Play Finland is at the moment one of the main channels for sharing information inside the industry.
- 16th November Games Now! Exhibitions: Quantum Garden by Robin Baumgarten
- 19-23 November 2018, Nanjing: IMGA Judging Sessions, China Game Design Seminar and the Awards Ceremony & Parties
- 20th Nov. IGDA Finland Turku Hub November event with Platonic Partnership
- 22 November Manse Games Event / Tampere
- Teut Weidemann joins to talk about F2P game monetisation.
- Petri Ikonen. The talk will focus on how the studio overcame the obstacles of designing a F2P mobile game from a well-loved IP, and how their design thinking has changed during production and running the live service.
- Third speaker will be Co-Founder of GameRefinery Joel Julkunen. Joel will be comparing the US mobile game market with several Asian markets and focus on their differences in various areas. During this talk we will learn which genres, game features & mechanics and visual styles are hot and which are not.
- Fourth speaker will be Kalle Kaivola! Kalle has worked on games for two decades as a producer, publisher and most recently investor as a partner in Sisu Game Ventures.
- Fifth speaker will be Google’s Industry Manager Juho Juhantalo. Juho is your first touchpoint to Google in mobile gaming in the Northern European region.
- Founder of Cellense Ivan Trancik. Ivan with his team at Cellense have worked to launch and scale over 50 games with over 2 billion downloads. They have been working with fast growing game studios like Fingersoft, Frogmind, BoomBit, DoDreams and many others.
- 23-25 November Junction / Helsinki
- 30.11.2018 klo 10.00-13.45 mobiili- ja AR-teknologian työpaja / Helsinki
- 4-5th Dec. Slush
- 12th Dec Museot pelissä – Museums at Play / Helsinki
- 25-27th January Global Game Jam if you want to run a site, apply now!
- 29th January Games First London 2019
- 22-24th May Nordic Game Conference / Helsinki
See also The Game Industry Events calendar: http://www.neogames.fi/en/events/eventcalendar
Neogames is creating a tool for the city of Helsinki summarising all key games industry related events in Helsinki
Open jobs & Recruitment
- GamePro training program open now. Apply before Nov. 19th
- Get your self matched in Game Factory Talents. Find your place in the Finnish Games Industry
- Games Factory Talents have introduced a new platform to make your talent visible for the game studios. They are building a community of developers to showcase, making it easier for the game studios to find the talent they need.
- “Instead of building a platform only for job seeking game industry professionals, we wanted a platform where the game studios could come and meet the talent even before they start the long and expensive process of advertising an open job position. Our Talent Board features industry professionals from all levels of experience to most of the various positions studios might be looking to fill”, explains Kim Bäckroos, CEO of the newly formed Games Factory Talents.
- New talent is being added to the Talent Board constantly, and Games Factory Talents are inviting all industry professionals and game studios to take part. Head over Games Factory Talents to look at the talent and job positions available and make yourself visible for the hiring studios.Follow Games Factory Talents on social media for the latest news and information on any upcoming talent acquisition events.
- Are you looking for game industry professionals to join your team? Oleg Paliy & José Jácome
are inviting you to join our recruitment event in Kiev in December. You will have a chance to pre-screen the candidates in advance and conduct f2f interviews on the spot. You can also join our #PlayFinland stand at the biggest local #gamedev conference Games Gathering, this way you can combine recruitment and business meetings.
- Jobs in Games: Rovio’s Heini Kaihu on how to get a job as head of studio.
- if people are interested in taking part in ‘Jobs in Games’ series feel free to get in touch with Craig Chapple!
- Nitro Games’ new game Heroes of Warland is now available on Android on the Google Play store and iOS on the App Store.
- Animera Games releases Shakes on a Plane on STEAM
- Kimble Games released Drag Bikes – Best new Drag Racing game to iOS
- Supercell invested EUR 5million to EveryWear / Supercell sijoitti 5 miljoonaa euroa suomalaiseen startupiin – Everywear Games salaperäinen uudesta projektista
- THQ Nordic acquired 90% Bugbear Entertainment!
- Part Time Monkey finally hit 40M downloads!
- What does this group think of government support schemes for the games industry? Erik Robertson is polling all the Nordics, because there seems to be a ramp up:
** Great Britain has given £80 million to 9 universities for research into the games industry and related, creative industries.
** The German government has allocated €50 million of its 2019 budget for a games fund as “an engine for the creative industry – both economically and artistically.”
** Romania announced a €94 million investment fund for tech companies, with special focus on the games industry.
- First trailer for Ctrl Alt Ninja’s game Druidstone: The Secret of the Menhir Forest, and a shiny new Steam store page
- Five years ago Oceanhorn – The Adventure Video Game made its debut on iOS Here’s a gift: a brand new Oceanhorn website to explore, with never-before-seen screenshots and info on the upcoming Oceanhorn 2: Knights of the Lost Realm, releasing on iOS in 2019.
- The Helsinki region game scene is finally getting a living room of its own, the 8-BIT TAPROOM! Very centrally located at Lönnrotinkatu 11. Opening next week. Come check it out!
- This year SLUSH is bringing more game content => Press Play – Slush Official Side event
- Video site Grumblo.com has approx. 3-500 000 monthly visitors watching rally, drifting and other videos. Now they are looking for car related games to be sold commission based thru our store. Be in touch for further details firstname.lastname@example.org
- Last week of Game Pro application period has started! They are still looking for great new talents and if you are a company looking for that talent, it’s not too late to be in touch with Antti Ilmo or Arja Martikainen. Application deadline on 19th November.
- Tatu Laine tells about Idle Games Deep Dive in Games Now
This is the weekly summary of news from the Finnish game industry. If you want to have your news on the list, post them on the Play Finland Facebook group. The summary will be posted every Friday afternoon. Check out previous week’s list.