Play Finland’s Weekly Newsletter
In this report we will combine weeks 50/2019 from the Finnish Game Industry.
News are gathered from the Play Finland group posts during the week. That is why we recommend you to post by yourself (however not flood) your Finnish Game Industry related news to the group. It also guarantees that your news will be visible in the weekly newsletter /news compilation. Play Finland is at the moment one of the main channels for sharing information inside the industry.
- 13th December Finnish Game Jam Awards 2019 / Helsinki. If you can’t make it, you can join live stream and watch it from their facebook group.
- 16th Dec. IGDA Lahti Christmas Gathering / Lahti
- Design Workshop; Wearables, Games and Extended Reality / Tampere (Note: Reasonable travel expenses(i.e. Train or Bus Tickets) will be compensated for the participants who reside outside of Tampere.)
13 January 2020, 10:00-17:00 – Bioadaptive Game Design for Wearable Supported Extended Reality
15 January 2020, 10:00-17:00 – Social Interaction in Extended Reality Games through Wearables
17 January 2020, 10:00-17:00 – Costumes as Extended Reality Game Controllers
23 January 2020, 10:00-17:00 – Synthesis Workshop (We expect all participants to participate in the Synthesis Workshop)
24 January 2020, 10:00-17:00 – Fusion Workshop (We expect all participants to participate in the Fusion Workshop )
Application Form: https://bit.ly/wearxrworkshopApplication Deadline: 03.01.2020Notification of Acceptance: 05.01.2020
- 20th-21st January Pocket Gamer Connects London.
- 7th of February Grand opening of Digi & Game Center / Jyväskylä
- 8th February, Game Business Booster 2020 / Jyväskylä
- 3rd of March Game Audio Awards 2020
- April 1st Games First / London
- 14th April Hyper UA Gamevasion / Copenhagen
- 6th of November #XmasJKL 2020 – The Finnish Game Industry Seminar / Jyväskylä
See also The Game Industry Events calendar: http://www.neogames.fi/en/events/eventcalendar
Neogames is creating a tool for the city of Helsinki summarising all key games industry related events in Helsinki
Open jobs & Recruitment
- Games Factory Talents launched new Games focused tech Talent board that helps Talents to land a Dream job at a Games Studio in Helsinki. Please check the positions and companies and APPLY
- Pocket hunt has launched their recruiting app for games people in Finland, Sweden, Germany, the United Kingdom, the Benelux countries, Bangalore and Singapore.
- Jobs in Games: Rovio’s Heini Kaihu on how to get a job as head of studio.
- if people are interested in taking part in ‘Jobs in Games’ series feel free to get in touch with Craig Chapple!
- Take a look at https://thehub.fi/jobs for the current list of all jobs available in the Finnish Game Industry!
- Remedy’s latest game, Control, has just won the award of Best Action/Adventure Game, Best Art Direction and Best Story in the IGN Best of 2019 Awards. Control is also their Game of the Year!!
- Rovio’s Angry Birds celebrates 10th year anniversary!
- Redhill Games presents Nine to Five, a new tactical shooter where smart teamwork triumphs over brute force and reflexes. Read more and sign up for Alpha now.
- FakeFish folks interviewed by Tencent about Barotrauma, and influencers, hardcore games and moddability, to name a few topics.
- Ensi viikolla Pelin Paikka LIVEn pikkujoululähetyksessä aiheena aikuisia ja isompia nuoria kiinnostavat yhteistyöpelit joita voi pelata kotona samalta sohvalta. Tervetuloa mukaan nappaamaan tärppejä yhteisiin pelihetkiin joulun vapaille! (twitch.tv/pelinpaikka tai kirjastokaista.fi/live)
- New York Tango: How Finnish Music and Culture Define Control. Remedy’s latest may be set in the U.S., but its heart is half a world away.
- JAMK University of Applied Sciences´s Business Information Technology (BIT) is one of the few bachelor’s level programmes among Universities of Applied Sciences dedicated solely for video game development and production in Jyväskylä, Finland.
- EGD 037: Unlocking creativity with Erik Pöntiskoski CEO of Dodreams
- If you missed this week’s Games Now! lecture by Nolla Games, it is now available as a stream recording.
People of the Year 2019: Remedy Entertainment. The Finnish studio’s bid for independence was about building a more stable future — Control proved it was also about creating the best possible games
This is the weekly summary of news from the Finnish game industry. If you want to have your news on the list, post them on the Play Finland Facebook group. The summary will be posted every Friday afternoon. Check out previous week’s list.