Play Finland’s Weekly Newsletter
In this report we will combine week 7/2020 from the Finnish Game Industry.
News are gathered from the Play Finland group posts during the week. That is why we recommend you to post by yourself (however not flood) your Finnish Game Industry related news to the group. It also guarantees that your news will be visible in the weekly newsletter /news compilation. Play Finland is at the moment one of the main channels for sharing information inside the industry.
We (admins) occasionally publish industry related posts or links in Play Finland. But since there is so many things going on, we don´t even try to cover the whole field.
- 15th Feb Empires & Puzzles -tapahtuma / Helsinki
- 20th February Game Designers Finland Meetup / Helsinki
- 27th February Japan Games Market – Best Practices; How to enter & what to consider? / Helsinki
- Check also the latest study regarding to China, Japan and South-Korean games market
- 3rd of March Game Audio Awards 2020
- 5th March AWE Nite Helsinki: XR Game Night
- 16.-17th March Game Connection America
- 18-22nd March; GDC | Game Developers Conference / San Francisco
- April 1st Games First / London.
- 14th April Hyper UA Gamevasion / Copenhagen
- 14.-15th April Bit1 / Helsinki
- 24th April Retro Game Jam 2020 / Turku
- 27-29th May Nordic Game 2020 / Malmö, Sweden
- 16 October W Love Games conference / Helsinki
- 6th of November #XmasJKL 2020 – The Finnish Game Industry Seminar / Jyväskylä
See also The Game Industry Events calendar: http://www.neogames.fi/en/events/eventcalendar
Neogames is creating a tool for the city of Helsinki summarising all key games industry related events in Helsinki
Open jobs & Recruitment
- Kopla is looking for QA lead
- Phz Full Stack Oy etsii vahvistusta asiakaspalveluun
- Looking for Job: Tuuli Saarinen, UX designer with over 10 years of experience solving exactly these kinds of challenges. She has worked with big companies and tiny startups, and enjoy working with international teams. So whether you need a full UX design overhaul, usability research conducted, or consultation to solve a specific issue, she got your back. If this sounds like something you’ve been looking for, PM her or email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Veikkaus is looking for a Game Artist!
- Double Star is looking for a Senior Programmer to join us in making Bow Land huge!
GamePro is here for the 10th time! Over 200 people have found their way to the Finnish gaming industry through the recruiting training program. Whether you are a company representative looking to grow your teams or a job seeker finding a position in gaming this might be for you! Further questions & inquires can be directed to
- Games Factory Talents launched new Games focused tech Talent board that helps Talents to land a Dream job at a Games Studio in Helsinki. Please check the positions and companies and APPLY
- Pocket hunt has launched their recruiting app for games people in Finland, Sweden, Germany, the United Kingdom, the Benelux countries, Bangalore and Singapore.
- Jobs in Games: Rovio’s Heini Kaihu on how to get a job as head of studio.
- if people are interested in taking part in ‘Jobs in Games’ series feel free to get in touch with Craig Chapple!
- Take a look at https://thehub.fi/jobs for the current list of all jobs available in the Finnish Game Industry!
- Nordic Game Discovery Contest debuts in Oulu. Deadline for submissions is 27 February 2020!
- A celebration of the creativity and innovation of indie games from several European countries @ Warsaw on 25 April 2020 – a chance to win $100K in SuperScale services.
- Pelialan opinnäytekilpailu 2020 on avattu! DL: 29.2.2020 / Game Studies Thesis Competition 2020 is open! DL: 29.2.2020
- Bit1 Helsinki confirmed judges for the student game competition;
- Timur Haussila, Game Lead of Supercell
Sonja Ängeslevä, Product Lead of Zynga
Juha Huhtakallio, General Manager of PlayStack Finland
Karoliina Korppoo, CEO of 10th Muse
Teemu Närhi, Senile Senior of Fingersoft
- The best Finnish student game is searched by the national game competition Bit1. The preliminaries, PreBits, are held in Helsinki, Tampere, Turku and Kajaani in the beginning of March. Application period is between 13.1.-26.2.2020.
- Timur Haussila, Game Lead of Supercell
- Danske Bank is launching an angel investment programme for startups based in Finland that are looking for funding, typically at a seed stage, and have a proven business case. The Application period is now open and closes on the 19th of February.
- Outstanding ACHIEVEMENTS for Finnish Game Developers @DICE Awards! 👑🏆🏅
- Baba Is You (by Hempuli) got Outstanding Achievement in Game Design!
- Control (by Remedy Entertainment) collected big bunch of achievements; “Action Game of the Year”, “Outstanding Achievement in Game Direction”, “Outstanding Achievement in Original Music Composition” and “Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction”!
Huge Congratulations to both teams!
- IGDA Finland in have launched new program – IGDA Future, initiative of IGDA Finland to empower the younger generations (18 years of age and younger) to join our amazing community and learn all about the opportunities that game development education and gaming industry have to offer.
- Sonja Hämäläinen is looking for a game design canvas for serious games. Do you have any recommendations?
- Consenrns about GDC getting cancelled as MWC did
- Markku Nummila is looking for cool offline games. Any recommendations?
My fave is HCR but need something else too.
- See the list of Finnish companies are going to be at GDC/GC San Francisco this year. (Let us know if your company is missing on the list, so we will add it there)
- There is still time to submit to the Ludic Unreliability Workshop at the DiGRA2020 (June 2nd)
- (Article only in Finnish) Supercell makes over EUR 500 million profit – Hit games make EUR 1.4billion turnover / Supercell tekee yli 500 miljoonaa euroa käyttökatetta – Hittilistoilla sinnikkäästi pysyttelevät pelit toivat 1,4 miljardia euroa liikevaihtoa.
- (Article only in Finnish) Supercell has mad more money with their two games thatn nine movies of Star Wars has made with sold tickets. / Supercell on tehnyt kahdella pelillään enemmän rahaa kuin mitä Star Warsin yhdeksän elokuvaa ovat keränneet lipputuloina yhteensä
- Ilkka Paananen Blog; “My take on Supercell in 2019 as we enter our second decade”
- Ville Ojanen asks “Do you have experience in serious games business development? Do you know someone who does? Are you interested in the modeling of human behavior based on hard science and big data and the business potential of this type of technology? Ville is representing a group of top-level Aalto university scientists in the fields of neuropsychology, machine learning, digital phenotyping and games research. They share the passion to develop world class cognitive game engine / middleware and serious games built around that.They are in the process of applying for Business Finland funding to develop new technology in this field and are looking for advisor/s with a solid track record in serious games business development and industry knowledge to join us. Got interested? Just send him a note or ping someone who might!
- EGD 046: Big Opportunity In Educational Games with Natasha Skult
This is the weekly summary of news from the Finnish game industry. If you want to have your news on the list, post them on the Play Finland Facebook group. The summary will be posted every Friday afternoon. Check out previous week’s list.