Play Finland’s Weekly Newsletter
In this report we will combine week 8/2020 from the Finnish Game Industry.
News are gathered from the Play Finland group posts during the week. That is why we recommend you to post by yourself (however not flood) your Finnish Game Industry related news to the group. It also guarantees that your news will be visible in the weekly newsletter /news compilation. Play Finland is at the moment one of the main channels for sharing information inside the industry.
We (admins) occasionally publish industry related posts or links in Play Finland. But since there is so many things going on, we don´t even try to cover the whole field.
- 27th February Japan Games Market – Best Practices; How to enter & what to consider? / Helsinki
- Check also the latest study regarding to China, Japan and South-Korean games market
- 3rd of March Game Audio Awards 2020
- 5th March AWE Nite Helsinki: XR Game Night
- 16.-17th March Game Connection America
- 18-22nd March; GDC | Game Developers Conference / San Francisco
- IGDA Mentor Cafe happening again during GDC (19th of March)
- April 1st Games First / London.
- 14th April Hyper UA Gamevasion / Copenhagen
- 14.-15th April Bit1 / Helsinki
- 24th April Retro Game Jam 2020 / Turku
- 27-29th May Nordic Game 2020 / Malmö, Sweden
- 16 October W Love Games conference / Helsinki
- Tickets sign-up starts in May and the link is first shared to those who have signed up for W Love Games newsletter. Sign up to a newsletter here.
- 6th of November #XmasJKL 2020 – The Finnish Game Industry Seminar / Jyväskylä
See also The Game Industry Events calendar: http://www.neogames.fi/en/events/eventcalendar
Neogames is creating a tool for the city of Helsinki summarising all key games industry related events in Helsinki
Open jobs & Recruitment:
- Looking for a job / cooperation: Nils Friedman is experienced digital marketer with 7 years of Google and Facebook ads experience. PM him for more information.
GamePro is here for the 10th time! Over 200 people have found their way to the Finnish gaming industry through the recruiting training program. Whether you are a company representative looking to grow your teams or a job seeker finding a position in gaming this might be for you! Further questions & inquires can be directed to
- Games Factory Talents launched new Games focused tech Talent board that helps Talents to land a Dream job at a Games Studio in Helsinki. Please check the positions and companies and APPLY
- Pocket hunt has launched their recruiting app for games people in Finland, Sweden, Germany, the United Kingdom, the Benelux countries, Bangalore and Singapore.
- Jobs in Games: Rovio’s Heini Kaihu on how to get a job as head of studio.
- if people are interested in taking part in ‘Jobs in Games’ series feel free to get in touch with Craig Chapple!
- Take a look at https://thehub.fi/jobs for the current list of all jobs available in the Finnish Game Industry!
- Nordic Game Discovery Contest debuts in Oulu. Deadline for submissions is 27 February 2020!
- A celebration of the creativity and innovation of indie games from several European countries @ Warsaw on 25 April 2020 – a chance to win $100K in SuperScale services.
- Pelialan opinnäytekilpailu 2020 on avattu! DL: 29.2.2020 / Game Studies Thesis Competition 2020 is open! DL: 29.2.2020
- Bit1 Helsinki confirmed judges for the student game competition;
- Timur Haussila, Game Lead of Supercell
Sonja Ängeslevä, Product Lead of Zynga
Juha Huhtakallio, General Manager of PlayStack Finland
Karoliina Korppoo, CEO of 10th Muse
Teemu Närhi, Senile Senior of Fingersoft
- The best Finnish student game is searched by the national game competition Bit1. The preliminaries, PreBits, are held in Helsinki, Tampere, Turku and Kajaani in the beginning of March. Application period is between 13.1.-26.2.2020.
- Timur Haussila, Game Lead of Supercell
- Business Jyväskylä opens application to International Venture Academy. Sign in by 23th of February to get invited in the first phase of the academy. The application page is only in Finnish, but there are more information of the programme in English.
- Norded is having free crowdfunding consultacy in Turku on 26th of February.
- Living Game Intelligence Network was launched this week. Network is channeling the help of volunteering industry seniors to young companies in Helsinki. Network will have an open call for both mentors and teams in near future.
- Double Star teams up with Huuuge to release Bow Land
- See the list of Finnish companies are going to be at GDC/GC San Francisco this year. (Let us know if your company is missing on the list, so we will add it there)
- Latest Games Now! lecture with the topic Games for Nature Conservation took place this week and can still be watched.
- EGD 047: Game Design and Player Career Goals with Minwoo Lee, Head of Product at DoDreams
- EGD 048: Learning From Serial Entrepreneurship with Jani Penttinen, Co-Founder & CEO, Utopos Games
- Platonic Partnership was interviewed by gamesindustry.biz about their game Lydia. Read more here.
- The Digi & Game Center in Jyväskylä is providing various services for community and business partners.
- Talouselämää wrote a news about Unity’s financial progress of 2018 (whole news readable for those ordering the paper – short recap and link to column about it here)
- Neogames continues with updating Youtube playlist Awesome Finnish Games with game trailers of released games. To get your game to the playlist just tell about your game release in Play Finland group. Also, if you want to stay updated about latest game trailers, follow Play Finland on Youtube.
This is the weekly summary of news from the Finnish game industry. If you want to have your news on the list, post them on the Play Finland Facebook group. The summary will be posted every Friday afternoon. Check out previous week’s list.