Play Finland’s Weekly Newsletter
In this report we will combine the weeks 8&9/2018 from the Finnish Game Industry.
News are gathered from the Play Finland group posts during the week. That is why we recommend you to post by yourself (however not flood) your Finnish Game Industry related news to the group. It also guarantees that your news will be visible in the weekly newsletter /news compilation. Play Finland is at the moment one of the main channels for sharing information inside the industry.
- March 15th China Game Day / Helsinki
- March 19th-31st. Game Connection America
- March 19th-23rd; GDC / San Francisco
- May 8th Games First / Helsinki
- May 23-25 Nordic Game Conference / Malmö, Sweden
See also The Game Industry Events calendar: http://www.neogames.fi/en/events/eventcalendar
- Koukoi Games is looking for Back-End Developer – in case you want to take part in some cool genre-defining projects, apply now!
- Dear backend developer!!! Frogmind has another new game coming to soft launch soon and need your help. If you are ambitious, self-directed and want to make a big impact and benefit from the fruits of your labor, come talk to Frogs and join their small & independent teams.
- Rovio is now seeking mobile game-loving, motivated and collaborative Summer Trainees to join the teams at Rovio. Check out our open positions and apply today!
- Nopia is currently pitching for an animated series. They are looking for one or two people in Finland who have experience writing movies, TV shows, plays, or any content for children under the age of seven. The story will be written in English. Please send your references as links and a short bit about you and your experience to firstname.lastname@example.org .
- 700+ game companies in the Nordics to get an overview of game development jobs available right now. Currently 440 job openings in Denmark, Sweden, Finland and Norway – browse through them at http://gameform.eu/
- More jobs at gamesjobs.fi
- Small Giant Games has raised $41 million following the success of Empires & Puzzles!
- Games made and released at the Sami Game Jam
- Kolibri Studios’ Land Crashers is available on Finnish AppStore. See the trailer
- “Far-Out”, challenging hardcore retro-futuristic first-person survival experience on STEAM
- Haste Heist released on STEAM!
- Jumibois’ Army of Squirrels on STEAM
- Gravitoid released globally on Android!
- Up a Cave is finally out on the App Store
- Up a Cave is featured in App Store’s New Games We Love!
- Näin peliyhtiö kasvatti liikevaihtonsa vuodessa nollasta 28 miljoonaan: ”Ruoskimme itseämme, ja paljastimme omat ajatusharhamme”
- Seriously’s four-year quest to become Finland’s next breakout hit
- Mökki is a riveting horror journey inspired by Kalevala and Finnish summer cottage culture. The demo was produced by students of Degree Programme in Media at Karelia University of Applied Sciences (Joensuu, Finland). The production was a part of nine week Game Production course (10 ECTS). Students had no prior game development experience. Download a demo.
- Major update to Rescuebusters –game
- Interview that Joonas Turner did with Gamasutra for the IGF regarding our game, Tormentor X Punisher.
- Tunnel Ground company continues by a new name, ORICO interactive. Visit at www.oricointeractive.com and stay tuned for more updates!
- Critical Force: “Mobile will become more and more important to esports”
- IGDA org has open election for the IGDA Board of Directors where the best candidate from Finland is Christopher Hamilton!
- Game Music Collective lähtee konserttikiertueelle toukokuussa kohteina Helsinki, Jyväskylä, Tampere ja Turku. Liput ovat myynnissä
- Finnish Game Jam organized Sami Game Jam (in freezing conditions below amazing auroras) in cooperation with the municipality of Utsjoki at the Áilegas Centre in Utsjoki at 21st-25th Feb. Sami Game Jam was a five-day game development event where experienced game developers and people with sami background came together in Utsjoki, Finland to create games based on sami culture. Sami Game Jam was an excellent example how games can be the medium for different cultural topics and build bridges between cultures and people. Go and see the amazing games created at the jam. Later these games will be combined into an exhibition in cooperation with Aalto University and the Finnish Museum of Games. The exhibition will be made available in three languages: in Northern Sami, in Finnish and in English.
- Wheelie King 3D will be released on 5th March
- Puhujaksi Digital Dragons 2018 -tapahtumaan Krakovaan? Oheisella lomakkeella voi kiinnostuksensa ilmoittaa.
- Stupid Stupid Games‘s NoReload Heroes at first public testing session.
- Hey all! Just wanted to share new features at Facebook. You can now create 3D posts! So now it is even easier to showcase your new models and assets.
More info about 3D posts can be found here.
- Video from Chinese board game printing factory! The board game: Arena: Gladiator League
- Aleksi Eeben, Seasoned Audio Designer, Brilliant Composer and aspiring Game Programmer, Game Producer, Punk Programmer and all-round Digital Tinkerer looking forward to making a return to the games industry. Fancy getting an old gubbe wandering around your company premises and doing much nothing? Find samples of his work at https://aleksieeben.myportfolio.com
- Sign up for free Indie Showcase tables at Pocket Gamer Connects San Francisco 2018
- Gregory Pellechi launched a new Youtube series/podcast about writing, narrative design and video games. The Writing Game is available here You can also subscribe to the podcast on iTunes.
- Boost Turku Startup Journey is the best way to learn all about becoming an entrepreneur! The HIVE – Turku Game Hub will support young gamedev teams in various ways including an opportunity to get a FREE office in the hub afterwards, how cool is that?! Apply asap:
- Jyväskylän Taulunmäen maanmittauslaitoksen entinen toimitalo alotaan remontda digi- ja pelialan yritysten käyttöön.
- The registering for Game Development World Championship 2018 is open
- Suomalaisten hyötypeliyritysten verkosto Serious Gaming Cluster Finland etsii vuoden 2017 parasta hyötypeliä! Ilmoita siis 4.3.2018 mennessä suosikkisi tälle hakusivulle!
This is the weekly summary of news from the Finnish game industry. If you want to have your news on the list, post them on the Play Finland Facebook group. The summary will be posted every Friday afternoon. Check out previous week’s list.