Play Finland’s Weekly Newsletter
In this report we will combine week 09/2023 from the Finnish Game Industry and will be posted every Friday afternoon. Check out the previous post here.
News are gathered from the Play Finland group posts during the week. That is why we recommend you to post by yourself (however not flood) your Finnish Game Industry related news to the group. It also guarantees that your news will be visible in the weekly newsletter /news compilation. Play Finland is at the moment one of the main channels for sharing information inside the industry.
- 6th March Exciting talk coming up: Future of AI and Games, by Prof. Julian Togelius (NYU, modl.ai) at HypeHype, Kampin Huippu, Urho Kekkosen katu 2 C, 4th floor. Sign up here to secure your seat (max 50 fit in)
- 8th March Unreal Meetup with ZOAN
- 10th March Game Audio Awards. Deadline for submissions is February 5th.
- 20th-21st March Game Connection America. Neogames has negotiated an offer with Super Early Bird prolongation to its members to Game Connection America during GDC week in March. EXHIBITOR PACKAGE registration before 6.2.2023
- 23th March LGIN with Greg Pellechi: Narrative Design & Production Workshop 1 / online
- 20th-24th March Game Developer Conference / San Francisco
- 18th – 21th April 2023 GamiFIN Conference. The call for papers is now open! Submission Deadline: December 20th, 2022
- 26th – 28th April Games Job Fair Online & Onsite in Helsinki
- 23rd – 26th May Nordic Game Conference in Malmö and online
- 8th June Games First Helsinki. Click this link
See also The Game Industry Events calendar Game Conference Guide Calendar Flemish Game association calendar & Game Industry Biz
- Mainframe industries has revealed a trailer of Pax Dei, an MMO that looks like an Arthurian dream and has no NPCs
Open jobs & Recruitment:
- Fingersoft is looking for a Chief Financial Officer (CFO) to lead the financial operations of the company. The position is located in Oulu.
- Noice is looking for a Live Game Designer!
- Is your studio hiring and/or looking for good visibility among #gamedev talent this spring? Games Job Fair April 26-28 2023 is the Online & Onsite in Helsinki games industry event for you!
- If you are looking for talented games industry professionals for short- or long-term hire – please check out the anonymous GameDevTalents board with screened and pre-interviewed talents ranging from mid to senior levels of experience and open to career opportunities. Feel free to reach out for details! And if you are Talent working in games industry or willing to join the Finnish games industry, feel free to apply https://gamedevtalents.com. Additionally, here is an anonymous list of talents who joined our Games Job Fair event and are open to career opportunities. If you want to see someone’s full profile, please feel free to reach out with the Contact button, so that they reach out to the talent for their consent. In your email please specify the project and/or position you are hiring for. A job description would be ideal.
- Take a look at https://thehub.fi/jobs for the current list of all jobs available in the Finnish Game Industry!
- Uratarinoita, erilaisista ihmisistä / mostly in Finnish, but few different career stories in English too
- Digidemo program application period started 15.2. and deadline for applications is 11.4. at 4pm. English digidemo info website to be updated later
- Creative Europe: support programme for Europe’s cultural and creative sectors 2021-2027. Deadline for applications is on 1st March.
- Game Music Collective has released the first single from our upcoming album RESTART – Finnish Game Music Revised. The song is ‘Let Me Save You’ from Housemarque’s Nex Machina! Original composition by our friend Ari Pulkkinen and lyrics by Sami ‘Haxu’ Hakala.
- Kuura Playhouse released chess game at Steam
- WeInGames released data about workplace harassment and unfair treatment in the Finnish game industry, based on the 117 responses from people who worked in the industry and responded WIGFI x IGDA Finland survey in 2021.
- Hapatus has released Stuffo the Puzzle Bot in Steam, iOS and Android
Julius Chávez asks how to approach games studios as an actor
- Neogames Finland asks which of the Finnish game developers are heading to GDC/GC America /SF
- Piia Porio asks if there are game companies at capital area that are willing to have aprox. 20 5-6th grade students for company visit.
- This week Finns celebrate Finnish Culture Day, or Kalevala Day as it’s also known. Local discussion around what truly is Finnish culture is often limited to the canon of local cultural icons like composer Jean Sibelius or architecht Alvar Aalto. Neogames wanted to raise awareness about locally developed games as the widest reaching Finnish culture of today. Feel free to join the discussion and comment & share our social posts.Download our materials to share.
- Theme Park. A digital art event released a new video on the channel. John “Cip” Cipriani from Supercell talks about expanding the IP
- A lot of top quality puzzle games releasing next week at Thinkathon including Stuffo the Puzzle Bot by Hapatus.
- Living Game Intelligence Network has started recording (some of) their public events this year, and publishing them on YouTube.