Play Finland’s Weekly Newsletter
In this report we will combine weeks 16/2023 from the Finnish Game Industry and will be posted every Friday afternoon. Check out the previous post here.
News are gathered from the Play Finland group posts during the week. That is why we recommend you to post by yourself (however not flood) your Finnish Game Industry related news to the group. It also guarantees that your news will be visible in the weekly newsletter /news compilation. Play Finland is at the moment one of the main channels for sharing information inside the industry.
- 22th April Game Development World Championship at Tallin
- 26th April Olli Sinerma: Business Finland Funding for Games / online
- 26th – 28th April Games Job Fair Online & Onsite in Helsinki
- 26th April AWE Nite Northern XR: Live from Turku
- 4th May Finnish Game Awards
- 9th May Game Amos poikkitaiteellinen online-tapahtuma
- 23rd – 26th May Nordic Game Conference in Malmö and online
- 27th May IGDA Finland celebrates its 20th birthday
- 8th June Games First Helsinki. Click this link
See also The Game Industry Events calendar Game Conference Guide Calendar Flemish Game association calendar & Game Industry Biz
- Sega buys Angry Birds video game maker Rovio
- Samuli Jääskeläinen is celebrating his 100th game jam in his career!
Open jobs & Recruitment:
- Is your studio hiring and/or looking for good visibility among #gamedev talent this spring? Games Job Fair April 26-28 2023 is the Online & Onsite in Helsinki games industry event for you!
Registration: https://apply.gamesjobfair.comEvent Details: https://gamesjobfair.com/
- If you are looking for talented games industry professionals for short- or long-term hire – please check out the anonymous GameDevTalents board with screened and pre-interviewed talents ranging from mid to senior levels of experience and open to career opportunities. Feel free to reach out for details! And if you are Talent working in games industry or willing to join the Finnish games industry, feel free to apply https://gamedevtalents.com. Additionally, here is an anonymous list of talents who joined our Games Job Fair event and are open to career opportunities. If you want to see someone’s full profile, please feel free to reach out with the Contact button, so that they reach out to the talent for their consent. In your email please specify the project and/or position you are hiring for. A job description would be ideal.
- Take a look at https://thehub.fi/jobs for the current list of all jobs available in the Finnish Game Industry!
- Uratarinoita, erilaisista ihmisistä / mostly in Finnish, but few different career stories in English too
- Platonic Partnership released Bone Dust on Steam
- Bonus Stage Publishing released DINO MERCS by US developer Unusual Undertaking
Julius Chávez is organizing a speedmeeting recruitment event for the Actors in Helsinki association, who represents the majority of freelance actors working in the Capital region. Previously such events have been held for film and tv, but now we want to branch out to games. At the moment,Julius probing what level of interest is there for game companies to participate.
- #GameCity Kajaani project brings growth to local game industry (Article in Finnish)
- Neogames Finland ry. attended Business Finland’s strategy seminar today to discuss Finland’s national strategy for #metaverse. Neogames’ KooPee Hiltunen hosted a group discussion at the working group for Consumer Metaverse. Finnish Game Industry will be a key innovator in local metaverse concepts in the future.
- The Game Development World Championship is celebrating its 2022 awards on April 22nd. . If you don’t already know about them, they’re a game dev competition based in Espoo, with over 3,600 game submissions last year, they’re just about ready to award the best of the best in 15 different categories, ranging from student games to 200+ dev teams.
PELIKAN project by Kajaanin Ammattikorkeakoulu is collecting the views of people working in the games industry on what skill level the current job applicants are and what kind of skills they should have.
· Game programming
Please answer the survey by 1.5.2023.
- around 30 replies – please donate your time for me (and science)! Please share at your company Slack or similar and leave questions unanswered if you don’t feel like you can answer all questions. Results will be shared on next Monday on the GN! Event Day (watch the stream live at https://www.twitch.tv/gamesnowaaltofi/
Talent Scaler (Call 1) mainly targets higher game education institutions interested in building an EIT labelled Master’s programmeSkills Fitter (Call 2) mainly targets game education institutions building lifelong learning coursesBreakthrough Lab (Call 3) mainly targets game developer studios interested in developing and testing innovative products, processes, or servicesVenture Factory (Call 4) mainly targets organisations interested in developing and delivering fit-for-purpose incubation and/or accelerator programmesCommunity Catalyser (Call 5) mainly targets non-formal game education institutions (e.g. game dev clubs or game jam organisers) interested in helping local communities to develop and implement innovative solutions for shared or similar challengesThe submission deadline for Expressions of Interest is rapidly approaching, so make sure to check out the summary of the calls
- Bonus Stage Publishing and Finnish Kamara Creations, the developers of Redgar: The Space Viking signed publishing deal.
Jyväskylä’s Biggest LAN event was hold on last Friday (Article in Finnish)