Play Finland’s Weekly Newsletter
In this report we will combine weeks 34/2020 from the Finnish Game Industry and will be posted every Friday afternoon. Check out the previous post here.
News are gathered from the Play Finland group posts during the week. That is why we recommend you to post by yourself (however not flood) your Finnish Game Industry related news to the group. It also guarantees that your news will be visible in the weekly newsletter /news compilation. Play Finland is at the moment one of the main channels for sharing information inside the industry.
- Best Finnish Games and Game Developers Awarded at an Exceptional 25th Anniversary Gala:
- IGDA Volunteer of the Year 2019: Joonas Häll
- Power Player of the Year 2019: Sonja Ängeslevä
- Rookie of the Year 2019: Resistance Games
- Applied Game Award 2019: Pikku Kakkosen Eskari / Pikku Kakkonen App Team
- Best Creative Achievement of the Year 2019: Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince / Frozenbyte
- Big Screen Game of the Year 2019: Control / Remedy Entertainment
- Small Screen Game of the Year 2019: Oceanhorn 2 / CornFox & Brothers Games
- Finnish Game of the Year 2019: Control / Remedy Entertainment
- => Stream of the Finnish Game Awards Gala can be seen here
- The Finnish Game Awards also saw the unveiling of the Pelimetsä Project. The Finnish game industry is committed to the UN sustainable development goals, and the Pelimetsä Project, launched last year, has already raised nearly € 500 000 to protect biodiversity in Finland. These donations have been used to conserve more than 130 hectares (over 320 acres) of Finnish old-growth forest. The project, which was set in motion by people within the industry, is set to continue in the coming years under the guidance of the Finnish Game Developers’ Association.
- Finnish Stock companies Rovio and Remedy announced good results / (Article only in Finnish)
- 26th Aug Elite Game Developers webinar: Audience-first game development. With Mitchell Smallman, Head of Product at Netspeak Games. Discussion about the approaches you can take to have an audience before you have a game.
- 18th August Finnish Game Awards Gala (online only) starting at 18.45. You can follow the Gala from Youtube
- 25-29 August; Gamescom / Cologne. Gamescom will under no circumstances take place on site in Cologne this year. Digital event will be organized. => Devcom
- Neogames is considering having virtual Play Finland expo booth in devcom digital 17.- 30.8.and at the moment we are looking for potential companies to join us as virtual exhibitors The price of virtual exhibitor company package is roughly €1000. If you want to have more info, please mail me: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 29-30th September Pocket Gamer Connects Helsinki (ONLINE)
- The discount code is: PlayFinland20
- 10th October Games Job Fair online
- 15th October Reboot Develop Blue / Croatia
- 16 October W Love Games conference / Helsinki
- 24th October Games Job Fair Online
- 6th of November #XmasJKL 2020 – The Finnish Game Industry Seminar / Jyväskylä
- March 2021(Date tbc) British Academy Games Awards
Applications already open Thursday 19 November 2020 – Entries closeTuesday 2 March 2021 – Nominations announcedMarch 2021 (Date tbc) – British Academy Games Awards
- 19th-23rd of July GDC 2021
See also The Game Industry Events calendar: http://www.neogames.fi/en/events/eventcalendar
EGDF in co-operation with European country organizations has collected a list of online (and postponed) events.
Open jobs & Recruitment:
- Kimmo Halonen is looking for videoeditor to make his trailer better
- If you are looking for talented games industry professionals in Finland for short or long term hire – please check out ever growing #GamesFactoryTalentBoard and please reach out for details! Also if you are #Talent working in games industry or willing to join the Finnish games industry feel free to apply! https://gamesfactorytalents.com
- Pocket hunt has launched their recruiting app for games people in Finland, Sweden, Germany, the United Kingdom, the Benelux countries, Bangalore and Singapore.
- Jobs in Games: Rovio’s Heini Kaihu on how to get a job as head of studio.
- if people are interested in taking part in ‘Jobs in Games’ series feel free to get in touch with Craig Chapple!
- Take a look at https://thehub.fi/jobs for the current list of all jobs available in the Finnish Game Industry!
- James Cramer asks about experiences with outsourced QA & Localisation? Who are the agencies to speak to and what ballpark monthly cost are you allocating for that?
- On the roots of Death Rally and Max Payne (Article only in Finnish)
- Apple removes thousands of games from the Chinese App Store, alarming observers
- Ilari Kuittinen from Housemarque had a great chat with Remedy’s Markus Mäki hosted by Juuso Pekkinen, when I visited Yle Puhe. We talked about quite a few topics and shared stories from the trenches. In Finnish only!
- Pocket Gamer asks: What platforms are most important to you? What type of gamer are you targeting? What are the biggest threats to your business? Enter our 2020 Developer Trends Survey now (and maybe win tickets to Pocket Gamer Connects Helsinki Digital 2020)
- New gaming cafe called peliproggis has been openend in Punavuori, Helsinki. / (Story only in Finnish)