Play Finland’s Weekly Newsletter
In this report we will combine week 41/2020 from the Finnish Game Industry and will be posted every Friday afternoon. Check out the previous post here.
News are gathered from the Play Finland group posts during the week. That is why we recommend you to post by yourself (however not flood) your Finnish Game Industry related news to the group. It also guarantees that your news will be visible in the weekly newsletter /news compilation. Play Finland is at the moment one of the main channels for sharing information inside the industry.
- 14-16th October Assembly Game Jam (online)
- 16 October W Love Games conference (online)
- TICKETS are available now and the link is first shared to those who have signed up for W Love Games newsletter. Sign up to a newsletter here.
– Madalina-Georgiana Vladau from RedLynx!
– Bogdina Buvaeva and Lamees Ouzon from Google
– Drussila Hollanda-Grönberg from Supercell
– Salla Hiiskoski from Futureplay Games
– Sergei Panin from Remedy
– Ruth Falconer from Abertay Univesity and WIGJ
– Phylicia Koh (Play Ventures)
- 26th October Games Now! open lecture series at Aalto University; Psychology of Sound Design (online)
- 28th October Games Job Fair Online
- 28th-30th October Nordic VR Forum 2020 (online)
- 6th of November #XmasJKL 2020 – The Finnish Game Industry Seminar / Jyväskylä
- 23rd November Games Now! open lecture series at Aalto University; “Publishing Games in China” (online)
- 7th December Games Now! open lecture series at Aalto University; “Exergaming” (online)
- 25th January Games Now! open lecture series at Aalto University; “Founding a Game Company (in Finland), Again” (online)
- 15th February Games Now! open lecture series at Aalto University; “Building Sustainable Gaming Cultures” (online)
- 29th March Games Now! open lecture series at Aalto University; “Fostering Playful Experiences with Wearables” (online)
- March 2021(Date tbc) British Academy Games Awards
- Applications already open
- Thursday 19 November 2020 – Entries close
- Tuesday 2 March 2021 – Nominations announced
- March 2021 (Date tbc) – British Academy Games Awards
- 19th April Games Now! open lecture series at Aalto University; “Next Generation of Interactive Streaming” (online)
- 3rd May Games Now! open lecture series at Aalto University; “Art of Learning by Doing – The Great Game Jam Panel” (online)
- 19th-23rd of July GDC 2021
See also The Game Industry Events calendar
EGDF in co-operation with Slovak Game Developers Association has build gameconfguide.com for complete list of games industry events and conferences and their status.
- Dreamloop Games‘ first next-gen project has been announced! They’ll be partnering with Feardemic & Unfold Games to bring DARQ to PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, and Switch. Read more here.
- Cryptic Cargo is testing out their first prototype of an escape room board game called IllegAI.
- EGDF and Slovak Game Developers Association put together gameconfguide.com for complete list of games industry events and conferences.
Open jobs & Recruitment:
- metacore is looking for talented programmers, artists and designers. Small focused teams with complete autonomy. Ambitious professionals. Drive, energy and global ramp up of a casual IP.
- Finnish Games Career Day will be on Wed 28th October at 9:00 – 19:00 more info here
- BusinessFinland has launched a nationwide job board to advertise jobs for #English speakers in #Finland. Advertising the open positions in the portal is free of charge for the companies.
- If you are looking for talented games industry professionals in Finland for short or long term hire – please check out ever growing #GamesFactoryTalentBoard and please reach out for details! Also if you are #Talent working in games industry or willing to join the Finnish games industry feel free to apply! https://gamesfactorytalents.com
- Take a look at https://thehub.fi/jobs for the current list of all jobs available in the Finnish Game Industry!
Licia Prehn shares a situation with non-Finnish starting a business and having a hard time to open a bank account and hopes to hear for advice and solutions.
- Hannele Muilu, reporter from Yle, is interest of hearing layoffs in game companies, especially if there has not been reasoning for termination of the employment.
- Toomas Moskvinov, a sound design student from Denmark, is interest to hear about unpaid internships in Finland.
- Arts Promotion Centre Finland info about public funding for arts (may be relevant to some game developers, info in Finnish only).
- XR Nation Citizen’s Spotlight: flyAR
- Deep Space Studios published a small preview video of game prototype in Youtube.
- Games Now! talk “Subscription Services for Games” by Heikki Repo is now available on Youtube.
- See some of XR’s Northern Lights at AWE Nite Helsinki Northern Lights 2 on Youtube.
- XR Nation’s latest Spatial News – Nordic Edition 09/2020 on Youtube.
Finnish Game Incubator applications are pouring in, and we’re starting to look through them! Apply now – fully remote, totally free and you’ll even get an entrepreneurship degree!Starting November 2020, apply by 23.10.2020Mentors include investors, marketing experts and CEOsFrom Tampere Game Hub, Business Tampere and AhlmanTotally free, remotely online on Discord, limited spots!