Play Finland’s Weekly Newsletter
In this report we will combine week 7/2022 from the Finnish Game Industry and will be posted every Friday afternoon. Check out the previous post here.
News are gathered from the Play Finland group posts during the week. That is why we recommend you to post by yourself (however not flood) your Finnish Game Industry related news to the group. It also guarantees that your news will be visible in the weekly newsletter /news compilation. Play Finland is at the moment one of the main channels for sharing information inside the industry.
- 8-9th March Get Funded at Arcade5 and online.
- 9th March concert by Game Music Collective
- 15-17th March Game Development World Championship hybrid awards.
- 18th March Seminar (in Finnish) about Game Education in Finland / Pelialan koulutus Suomessa -seminaari
- 21-25th Mar 2022 GDC 2022 / San Francisco
- 22th March Nordic Breakfast at GDC 2022 (pw: GDCNordic)
- March 28th, April 28th, May 19th, June 9th 2022, 4-6pm (CET) Towards Anti-Racist Game Development in Europe Workshop
- 20-22nd April Bit1: Prebits:
- Tampere 20th of April
- Helsinki 21st of April
- Turku 22nd of April
- 27-29th April Games Job Fair
- 24-28th Aug 2022 Gamescom 2022 / Cologne
- Supercell’s revenue for 2021 was at €1.89 billion (or $2.24 billion), and their profits before taxes (EBITDA) amounted to €734 million (or $852 million). Profits allowed them to contribute a total of approximately €150 million (or $177 million) in corporate taxes to Finland this year alone.
- Rovio 2021 revenues increase 5.1% to $326.6 million, boosted by Angry Birds titles
- Remedy earned €44.7 million in revenue for the full year of 2021 (up 8.9 percent from the same period last year), and had an operating profit of €14.7 million. That’s an 11 percent rise from the prior year.
- Return Entertainment Cloud native gaming available to all closed 5.3 million euros funding
Open jobs & Recruitment:
- If you are looking for talented games industry professionals for short- or long-term hire – please check out the anonymous GameDevTalents board with screened and pre-interviewed talents ranging from mid to senior levels of experience and open to career opportunities. Feel free to reach out for details! And if you are Talent working in games industry or willing to join the Finnish games industry, feel free to apply https://gamedevtalents.comTake a look at https://thehub.fi/jobs for the current list of all jobs available in the Finnish Game Industry!
- Oddrok released Rallygator! for Steam and Switch
- Pako 3 Getaway update is out! Back to the Pako 2 style big maps and driving people around! Also, new racing levels, cars + other stuff!
- Valo Motion is proud to present it’s new product ValoArena! Active mixed reality group gaming that will make you move with your friends. Best part is that you can try it soon at SuperPark Vantaa in Finland!!
- Toivo Aaron Kallio offers podcast for an enthusiast, a dreamer, a student or a seasoned professional, there’s so much inspiring and informative in the stories and views of the guests.
- C.L.A.Y. The Moving City, A Narrative Artbook kickstarter campaign is on and the goal is reached
- Supercell CEO, Ilkka Paananen opens up about their success and financials. Article in Finnish too
- A new episode of Solip’s Comic “Game Expats Story” a story about game ‘service’ in Japan and Finland
- JANITOR BLEEDS, a horror game about a haunted arcade by Korpus is coming out by Bonus Stage Publishing on April 7th on PC and Xbox.
Looking for new funding opportunities? Join Get funded!
Get funded event is organised March 8-9th, 2022 – live at the Arcade5 (Lapinlahdenkatu 16, Helsinki) and online. Get your ticket, whether you want to meet people live or online, from Eventbrite: https://www.eventbrite.fi/e/get-funded-tickets-266658541877The event has three tracks:
1) Private funding track on Tuesday afternoon with VC and angel investors and stories about fundraising journeys from studios
2) Public funding track on Wednesday afternoon with Business Finland, AVEK, Creative Europe and others
3) Investor track on Tuesday morning – please note, that investor track is live and application-only track, and the participants for this track will receive confirmation later.
When?Investor track: March 8th, 10-12 o’clock (only live and for pitching teams)Private funding track: March 8th, 13-17 o’clockPublic funding track: March 9th, 13-17 o’clock
Where? Arcade5 & online