Play Finland’s Weekly Newsletter
In this report we will combine weeks 29-31/2019 from the Finnish Game Industry.
News are gathered from the Play Finland group posts during the week. That is why we recommend you to post by yourself (however not flood) your Finnish Game Industry related news to the group. It also guarantees that your news will be visible in the weekly newsletter /news compilation. Play Finland is at the moment one of the main channels for sharing information inside the industry.
- 20th-22nd August. Gamescom / Cologne
- The list of Finnish Game Developers in Games com is here
- Play Finland booth is located to hall 3.2, and the booth number is E-020G (or F-029G if approaching from aisle F). The boot is shared with Norwegians.
- On Wednesday there will be happy hour on our booth starting 5 pm (local time). There will be beer, wine and nuts And of course, hopefully you too!
- The Nordic Party is also on Wednesday! From 8 pm onwards at Biergarten am Aachener Weiher in Cologne. Nordic Party is free to enter.
- 20th Aug; IGDA Finland Helsinki Hub Summer Party with Supercell
- 27th August IGDA Finland Satakunta and Turku hug Gathering
- 27th August Game On / Helsinki
- 21st September IT and GAMES job Fair in Kiev
- space for couple of more games studios for the annual IT and Games Job Fair Kyiv on 21st of September.
- September 30th Leadership Day by IGDA FInland / Helsinki
- 1st-2nd Oct Pocket Gamer Connects Helsinki.
- 17th October Konsoll 2019 / Bergen Norway
- 29th-31st October Game Connection Europe 2019 / Paris
- 14th-15th November YSÄRI GAME JAM! if you are interested ping Licia Prehn
- 15th November W Games Conference 2019
- First speaker announced: Sophie VO
- 19th November; Press Start invites 1,000 game developers to the Cable Factory for a free kick-off to the Slush Week.
- No middleware, no service providers – just games. Attendance is free and by application only. Apply here slush.org/press-start
- Learn from industry veterans, connect with peers, get a glimpse into some up-and-coming games and meet a pool of investors. And let’s not forget the after-party.
- The first speakers and open applications to the event will be released in August.
- You will also have an opportunity to submit your game to be showcased on stage.
See also The Game Industry Events calendar: http://www.neogames.fi/en/events/eventcalendar
Neogames is creating a tool for the city of Helsinki summarising all key games industry related events in Helsinki
Open jobs & Recruitment
- Looking for job: Trần Duy Hưng, an artist looking for a job. See the portfolio
- Get your self matched in Game Factory Talents. Find your place in the Finnish Games Industry
- Games Factory Talents have introduced a new platform to make your talent visible for the game studios. They are building a community of developers to showcase, making it easier for the game studios to find the talent they need.
- “Instead of building a platform only for job seeking game industry professionals, we wanted a platform where the game studios could come and meet the talent even before they start the long and expensive process of advertising an open job position. Our Talent Board features industry professionals from all levels of experience to most of the various positions studios might be looking to fill”, explains Kim Bäckroos, CEO of the newly formed Games Factory Talents.
- New talent is being added to the Talent Board constantly, and Games Factory Talents are inviting all industry professionals and game studios to take part. Head over Games Factory Talents to look at the talent and job positions available and make yourself visible for the hiring studios.Follow Games Factory Talents on social media for the latest news and information on any upcoming talent acquisition events.
- Pockethunt is looking for a few game studio employers/inhouse recruiters to use their casual career chat for free. They have soft launched the app and would appreciate all feedback. Message Emilia Machuca if interested.
- Jobs in Games: Rovio’s Heini Kaihu on how to get a job as head of studio.
- if people are interested in taking part in ‘Jobs in Games’ series feel free to get in touch with Craig Chapple!
- Curious on how to enter the Games Industry? Take a look at http://www.devs.tv/jobs/ for the current list of all jobs available in the Finnish Game Industry!
- Jyri Partanen asks what channels have you found useful in monetizing HTML5 games?
- Licia Prehn is asking for tips for a good software/service for sharing tasks and to-do lists among two or more people?
Nam Dinh Nguyen is looking for some quality resources/good readings/materials on LiveOps and topics related (i.e KPI)
- Lunarbyte organized a 10-week trainee program during the summer and it has now ended.
- Peliyhtiö Remedy kohensi tulostaan, seuraavaa peli on viittä vaille valmis
- Elite Game Developers podcast: How to Approach Company Building with James Gwertzman Co-Founder of PlayFab
- Trine 4 – Release Date Reveal Trailer | Available Oct 8
- Mike Laaksonen shares experiences on procedural content generation for games
- Ei enää opettajien suunnittelemia opetuspelejä! Pelillistäminen on nyt in, mutta monessa asiassa voidaan mennä metsään
- Zsuzsa James will be in Helsinki between Aug 19-31, if you wanna get some insight on the US games industry and figure out how to navigate this freest of free countries in the free world.
- Win space to show off your games free at Pocket Gamer Connects Helsinki this October.
- Isabella Chydenius is Masters of Fine Art in Cape Town, South Africa and looking into the possibilities of making a video game as part of her masters degree and eager to work with video game developers and a full team.
- Janne Rautiainen etsii SPR:n Auta Maailmaa Suomen Pelimuseoon museoiduksi.
- Five Misconceptions About the Effects of Violent Video Game Play
- Elite Game Developers podcast: Growing a Profitable Games Company with Mariina Hallikainen CEO of Colossal Order
This is the weekly summary of news from the Finnish game industry. If you want to have your news on the list, post them on the Play Finland Facebook group. The summary will be posted every Friday afternoon. Check out previous week’s list.