In April 2023, Finns will elect the new government in parliamentary elections. During autumn 2022, Neogames united the Finnish games industry to discuss the three key steps the new Finnish government should take to support the local games industry. You can access the whole document here (in Finnish).
SUCCESS IS BUILT ON TALENT
Finnish competitiveness is built on top global talents: Two previous Finnish governments have mapped the bureaucratic obstacles hindering talent attraction and immigration to Finland. The new government must put money where its mouth is and take concrete action to cut the red tape and speed up the immigration process.
- National government: Make the Finnish country brand visible and secure sufficient funding for the strong presence of Finland in key games industry events all over the globe.
- National government: Fix the immigration bureaucracy. It must not take longer than seven days to relocate to Finland.
- National government/the EU: Create a three-month threshold for free cross-border remote work. A working digital single market area is a functional cross-border remote work area.
Finnish competitiveness is built on highly skilled young talents: Young industry talents must have a clear and well-resourced path from game development as a hobby to formal game education and finally to game entrepreneurship. The Finnish model for games industry talent building has to reach and be accessible to girls and other underrepresented groups.
- National government: Include games in the curriculum of national basic education in the arts.
- National government: Introduce an internship guarantee. Formal game education institutions and game development studios need an incentive for joint internship programs.
- National government: Introduce an entrepreneurship guarantee. Create a 20 million euro public seed fund investing in first-round high-risk start-up companies.
- National government: Introduce an AI pilot for cultural and creative industries. Use Finnish game education as a pilot for mainstreaming the use of AI in cultural and creative industries.
SUCCESS IS BUILT ON COURAGE TO TAKE STEPS INTO UNKNOWN
Courage to take steps into unknown is based on joint national and European support.
- National government: Make sure that Finland provides the best and most comprehensive public services for running a business.
- National government: Continue DigiDemo funding for game prototypes and create a Finnish game production incentive.
- The EU: Build a unified digital single market area based on technology, business model and content-neutral, harmonised and innovation-friendly regulation.
SUCCESS IS BUILT ON CO-OPERATION
The Finnish games industry’s success is built on a strong and inclusive game developer community. Unfortunately, public support for local game industry clusters has dried up in recent years.
- Local/national government: Establish a well-resourced cluster organisation for game development in all higher education cities.
- National government: Secure good passenger connections from Finland to abroad. Invest in four-hour public transport connections to Helsinki-Vantaa airport from all Finnish higher education cities.