Play Finland’s Weekly Newsletter
In this report we will combine week 19/2022 from the Finnish Game Industry and will be posted every Friday afternoon. Check out the previous post here.
News are gathered from the Play Finland group posts during the week. That is why we recommend you to post by yourself (however not flood) your Finnish Game Industry related news to the group. It also guarantees that your news will be visible in the weekly newsletter /news compilation. Play Finland is at the moment one of the main channels for sharing information inside the industry.
- 17th May Bit1 Final
- 17-20th May Nordic Game Conference
20% Discount to Nordic Game Conference @ Malmö / Sweden for the members of Neogames Finland and Pelinkehittäjät Assn.
Go to: https://conf.nordicgame.com/registration/
Choose: Organisation/partner discount and select Neogames from the list
Apply code: NG22SORG_fp9qMbmt to the Discount Code box.
- 23rd May Meetup with Skunkworks
- 25th May The Finnish Game Awards 2022
- 24-28th Aug 2022 Gamescom 2022 / Cologne
- 26th IGDA Leadership Day 2022 / Helsinki. Call for speakers now.
- 13-14th October W Love Games
- tickets for conference are available
- The winners of game studies thesis competition are announced.
Samuel Poirier-Poulin from University of Tamper won the Masters category with the work; “The wounds that never healed: An analysis of videoludic trauma in Cry of Fear”and Leena Hirvonen from Karelia University of applied sciences with work; “Unity digitaalisen oppimateriaalin tuottamisen välineenä”
Open jobs & Recruitment:
SciPlay’s studio in Finland is recruiting Back-end Engineer. Location Oulu or Helsinki Metropolitan Area
- Skilled graphic designer Ivan in Ukraine/Mariupol is looking for gigs. (Jarkko Koskinen recommends)
- If you are looking for talented games industry professionals for short- or long-term hire – please check out the anonymous GameDevTalents board with screened and pre-interviewed talents ranging from mid to senior levels of experience and open to career opportunities. Feel free to reach out for details! And if you are Talent working in games industry or willing to join the Finnish games industry, feel free to apply https://gamedevtalents.com. Additionally, here is an anonymous list of talents who joined our Games Job Fair event and are open to career opportunities. If you want to see someone’s full profile, please feel free to reach out with the Contact button, so that they reach out to the talent for their consent. In your email please specify the project and/or position you are hiring for. A job description would be ideal.
- Take a look at https://thehub.fi/jobs for the current list of all jobs available in the Finnish Game Industry!
- Uratarinoita, erilaisista ihmisistä / mostly in Finnish, but few different career stories in English too
- Digidemo application period begins today and ends 5.8. More info (in Finnish)
- WINGS Invests in indie games made by women and diverse teams. Their investment decisions are driven by a selection committee of outstanding game developers that are representative of the strength and diversity of the industry.
- New EU funding possibilities for gamedevs and their supporting organisations here
- Tommi Tossavainen asks when will VR break trough.
Leena Romppainen: “New copyright legislation was changed radically at the last minute, we’ve put up a citizen initiative to push back. Copyright legislation has quite far-reaching consequences, for example if automatic takedowns get implemented and consumers and creators won’t have a reasonable way to contest takedowns.”
- Quicksave Interactive and gif.games launch Tezotopia Battles
- Badland Party is out on Apple Arcade with local & online multiplayer!
- Article about Sulake’s approach to NFT (in Finnish and only for HS subscribers)
- The Pegasus Expedition announced cooperation with 1C Entertainment!
Baltic Explorers is organizing during autumn 2022 great 𝗧𝗥𝗔𝗗𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗢𝗪 participation opportunities for game companies.Gamescom Application ongoing 𝗗𝗟 𝟯𝟭.𝟱.𝟮𝟬𝟮𝟮 – www.balticexplorers.eu𝗧𝗼𝗸𝘆𝗼 𝗚𝗮𝗺𝗲 𝗦𝗵𝗼𝘄 𝟮𝟬𝟮𝟮please contact 𝘀𝗮𝗯𝗶𝗻𝗲.𝘀𝘂𝗼𝗿𝘀𝗮@𝘅𝗮𝗺𝗸.𝗳𝗶𝗕𝘂𝘀𝗮𝗻 𝗜𝗻𝗱𝗶𝗲 𝗖𝗼𝗻𝗻𝗲𝗰𝘁 (𝗕𝗜𝗖) 𝗳𝗲𝘀𝘁𝗶𝘃𝗮𝗹 please contact 𝗿𝗶𝗮.𝗴𝘆𝗻𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿@𝗹𝗮𝗯.𝗳𝗶
- Games Factory Talents connecting Passion & Talent is wrapping up our largest online #GamesJobFair where they hosted 39 studios and 2216 talents from 98 countries They had the pleasure of organizing 3 art challenges sponsored by InnoGames, Mainframe Industries, Redhill Games and were totally blown away by the immense talent showcased by the artists for these challenges. You can see the artworks on our Discord ServerAnd by the way! If you are looking for talents to join your studio check out the anonymous list of attendees and reach out to us for details on how to connect with them. Stay tuned for the next Games Job Fair in October!
Tuomas Pöyhtäri is looking for a graphic artist to collaborate with they on space 4X strategy game Ephemeris. To describe it simply, it is like Master of Orion or Stellaris with combat inspired by Homeworld and Total War. The focus of the game is in the fully 3d real time combat with realistic physics never before seen in this genre. As there is no publisher or external funding yet, personal interest in this genre and this game would be very important. The compensation model can be discussed but the best option at the moment would be a payment based on income from the game. So if you have the skill and the motivation to be part of the next hit strategy game by designing the look, drawing UI panels, illustrating different alien species and everything in between or if you just want to discuss more please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or send a private message here on Facebook! Devlog