Play Finland’s Weekly Newsletter
In this report we will combine weeks 33-35/2022 from the Finnish Game Industry and will be posted every Friday afternoon. Check out the previous post here.
News are gathered from the Play Finland group posts during the week. That is why we recommend you to post by yourself (however not flood) your Finnish Game Industry related news to the group. It also guarantees that your news will be visible in the weekly newsletter /news compilation. Play Finland is at the moment one of the main channels for sharing information inside the industry.
- 7th September OVER 7 HILLS – Game Day by HIVE at The HIVE – Turku Game Hub: Call for speakers and teams to join Showroom
- 8th September Expa Pride Game Night at Digi & Game Center
- 15th September Bothnia Game Industry, Future & Beyond / Kokkola
- 20th September IPO Klinikka pelialan yrityksille (workshop in Finnish) / Helsinki & Online
- 26th September IGDA Leadership Day 2022 / Helsinki.
- 27-28 Sept. Pocket Gamer Connects Helsinki: Get 20% off your tickets when you use code: PlayFinland20
- 13-14th October W Love Games: tickets for conference are available
- 19-22 Oct. Gamescom Asia/Singapore
- Join to Nordic booth on Gamescom Asia. Book your place now before they are all gone! Email firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest. You will receive more details on how you can be a part of this. https://gamescom.asia/
- 26-28th October Games Job Fair Autumn 22
- 1-30th November Free City of Games / Kouvola: Idea call/applying until 1st of October.
- 3rd-4th November Game Connection Europe / Paris
- 17th-18th Slush Helsinki
- It is the time that Neogames is updating the list of Finnish (active) Game Developers companies on our site and we need help from the community. Please inform what is missing and if something is wrong. In addition if there are company listed but it’s not at the moment active or not in the business anymore, let us know that too. Please comment on fb post or send an email to suviATneogames.fi
- PlayStation acquired Savage Games Studios
- Black Block has raised $1.5m from Play Ventures, which led the round, plus Joakim Achrén’s angel syndicate, Brilliant Problems and Business Finland.
- Remedy has been chosen as a solid performer of the year (awarded by Finnish technology magazine TIVI) article in Finnish.
Open jobs & Recruitment:
- Mikko Leppäaho, and is looking for an internship as a 3D artist through the GamePro program. Mikko has previously taken part in many small game projects and worked on things such as the virtual training environment for the Finnish Defence Forces. Mikko has a good knowledge of 3D modelling, from hard surface to organic and stylized to realistic. Email: email@example.com
- Next Games is hiring for key positions, so please get in touch if you want to be a part of this exciting journey together with Netflix
- Nitro Games is looking for Senior Game Designer
- Wondershop is looking for a Game Developer
- If you are looking for talented games industry professionals for short- or long-term hire – please check out the anonymous GameDevTalents board with screened and pre-interviewed talents ranging from mid to senior levels of experience and open to career opportunities. Feel free to reach out for details! And if you are Talent working in games industry or willing to join the Finnish games industry, feel free to apply https://gamedevtalents.com. Additionally, here is an anonymous list of talents who joined our Games Job Fair event and are open to career opportunities. If you want to see someone’s full profile, please feel free to reach out with the Contact button, so that they reach out to the talent for their consent. In your email please specify the project and/or position you are hiring for. A job description would be ideal.
- Take a look at https://thehub.fi/jobs for the current list of all jobs available in the Finnish Game Industry!
- Uratarinoita, erilaisista ihmisistä / mostly in Finnish, but few different career stories in English too
- WINGS Invests in indie games made by women and diverse teams. Their investment decisions are driven by a selection committee of outstanding game developers that are representative of the strength and diversity of the industry.
- New EU funding possibilities for gamedevs and their supporting organisations
Michael Hudson is writing Master’s Thesis at Aalto University in Game Design and Production about creating Modular Game Characters for Unreal Engine and is asking a fellow modeler in Playfinland for comments, advice and critiques about following graph
- Boom Slingers is coming to Steam Early Access (PC&Mac) in a few weeks and is now wishlist-ready!
- Baltic Explorers trade mission to South Korea currently happening
Career abroad? Pauliina has had interesting one – especially in Call of Duty! (article in Finnish and behind paywall)
- Joel Kailanto‘s blog text about some research results and my opinions about Unreal Engine 5 and its new features
- Virtual Hunter pheasant update has gone live
- Reko Ukko has joined Next Games’ leadership team as Chief Creative Officer!
- We In Games Finland is conducting a survey on hybrid work and well-being.
- Jyväskylä Game Industry Scene offers many opportunities for growth for game devs.