Play Finland’s Weekly Newsletter
In this report we will combine week 39/2020 from the Finnish Game Industry and will be posted every Friday afternoon. Check out the previous post here.
News are gathered from the Play Finland group posts during the week. That is why we recommend you to post by yourself (however not flood) your Finnish Game Industry related news to the group. It also guarantees that your news will be visible in the weekly newsletter /news compilation. Play Finland is at the moment one of the main channels for sharing information inside the industry.
- 28th September Games Now! open lecture series at Aalto University; “Subscription Services for Games” (online)
- 28th September IGDA Finland Leadership Day 2020 online event
- 6th of October Scottish Games Ecosystem & Commercial Opportunity
- 6th-8th October 1st European Union-Mexico Creative Industries Forum: Video gaming and Transmedia
- 15th October Reboot Develop Blue / Croatia
- Over the years, Develop Blue has become one of the main annual conferences for European game developer communities. Therefore, EGDF and Neogames Finland ry. are happy to announce a 10% discount code for a STANDARD CONFERENCE PASS Please do not hesitate to contact the associations to receive yours.
- 16 October W Love Games conference / Helsinki
- TICKETS are available now and the link is first shared to those who have signed up for W Love Games newsletter. Sign up to a newsletter here.
– Madalina-Georgiana Vladau fromRedLynx!– Bogdina Buvaeva and Lamees Ouzon from Google– Drussila Hollanda-Grönberg from Supercell
- 26th October Games Now! open lecture series at Aalto University; Psychology of Sound Design (online)
- 28th October Games Job Fair Online
- 6th of November #XmasJKL 2020 – The Finnish Game Industry Seminar / Jyväskylä
- 23rd November Games Now! open lecture series at Aalto University; “Publishing Games in China” (online)
- 7th December Games Now! open lecture series at Aalto University; “Exergaming” (online)
- 25th January Games Now! open lecture series at Aalto University; “Founding a Game Company (in Finland), Again” (online)
- 15th February Games Now! open lecture series at Aalto University; “Building Sustainable Gaming Cultures” (online)
- 29th March Games Now! open lecture series at Aalto University; “Fostering Playful Experiences with Wearables” (online)
- March 2021(Date tbc) British Academy Games Awards
- Applications already open
- Thursday 19 November 2020 – Entries close
- Tuesday 2 March 2021 – Nominations announced
- March 2021 (Date tbc) – British Academy Games Awards
- 19th April Games Now! open lecture series at Aalto University; “Next Generation of Interactive Streaming” (online)
- 3rd May Games Now! open lecture series at Aalto University; “Art of Learning by Doing – The Great Game Jam Panel” (online)
- 19th-23rd of July GDC 2021
See also The Game Industry Events calendar: http://www.neogames.fi/en/events/eventcalendar 📆
EGDF in co-operation with European country organizations has collected a list of online (and postponed) events.
📝 Open jobs & Recruitment:
- Next Games is hiring Game Programmers
- Red Stage (an indie Game Studio located in Tampere) is looking for a person who is addicted to Level Design and knows their Unity. They are currently working on a title called Skábma – Snowfall, an adventure game inspired by sámi mythology, for PC and consoles. Contact; email@example.com
- Karim Alian is looking for a job (check his demo)
- Finnish Games Career Day will be on Wed 28th October at 9:00 – 19:00 more info here
- BusinessFinland has launched a nationwide job board to advertise jobs for #English speakers in #Finland. Advertising the open positions in the portal is free of charge for the companies.
- If you are looking for talented games industry professionals in Finland for short or long term hire – please check out ever growing #GamesFactoryTalentBoard and please reach out for details! Also if you are #Talent working in games industry or willing to join the Finnish games industry feel free to apply! https://gamesfactorytalents.com
- Take a look at https://thehub.fi/jobs for the current list of all jobs available in the Finnish Game Industry!
💖 New releases 🤩
Futureplay Games released Merge Gardens on iOS and Android
- Neogames Finland released a study regarding the employment situation of students graduated from Finnish Game Education, Neogames Finland has released a study. The study is written in Finnish but the English abstract of the study can be found here
⏰ Neogames Reminding
Mikko Meriläinen wish Neogames to support young school students to find internship positions from Finnish Game studios
📃 Other News
Anna Pgr asks all the friends in marketing & user acquisition to join Slack community of Finnish marketers (100+ people), send her a PM if you’d like to join.
- Disabled people needed to play with hacked consoles, because there were no other option. (article in Finnish)
- MindSeize for Nintendo Switch will launch on Nintendo eShop on 30th September!
- Gree wins its patent infringement lawsuit against Supercell
- If you are interested in what kind of skills are required for different roles in game development, Game Badges is a great place to start
- Release date of a new Finnish game Underponder gets closer and closer.
Want to know how your team can reach new audiences using game.tv’s community based platform with (almost) zero UA costs? Even if your game already has tournaments etc. our approach will help you reach better retention.Contact jim (at) game.tv for more information
Project: Longtail offers Lama riding
Finnish Game Incubator applications are pouring in, and we’re starting to look through them! Apply now – fully remote, totally free and you’ll even get an entrepreneurship degree!Starting November 2020, apply by 23.10.2020Mentors include investors, marketing experts and CEOsFrom Tampere Game Hub, Business Tampere and AhlmanTotally free, remotely online on Discord, limited spots!
Merge Gardens – Gameplay Trailer