Play Finland’s Weekly Newsletter
In this report we will combine week 9/2022 from the Finnish Game Industry and will be posted every Friday afternoon. Check out the previous post here.
News are gathered from the Play Finland group posts during the week. That is why we recommend you to post by yourself (however not flood) your Finnish Game Industry related news to the group. It also guarantees that your news will be visible in the weekly newsletter /news compilation. Play Finland is at the moment one of the main channels for sharing information inside the industry.
- 8-9th March Get Funded at Arcade5 and online.
- 15-17th March Game Development World Championship hybrid awards.
- 18th March Seminar (in Finnish) about Game Education in Finland / Pelialan koulutus Suomessa -seminaari
- 21-25th Mar 2022 GDC 2022 / San Francisco
- March 28th, April 28th, May 19th, June 9th 2022, 4-6pm (CET) Towards Anti-Racist Game Development in Europe Workshop
- 20-22nd April Bit1: Prebits:
- Tampere 20th of April
- Helsinki 21st of April
- Turku 22nd of April
- 27-29th April Games Job Fair
- 11th May concert by Game Music Collective
- 24-28th Aug 2022 Gamescom 2022 / Cologne
- 13-14th October W Love Games
- Housemarques Returnal is nominated in several categories at 2022 BAFTA Games Awards
- Netflix Announced Plans to Acquire Next Games
- Neogames Finland is updating the lists of games released in 2021 and active Finnish Game companies. Based on game list Finnish Game Awards nominees are voted. Deadline for game list updates is 11.3. Please check that your companies and games are listed, and if not or if there are mistakes, please inform by email to me; suviATneogamesFi.
- Game industry is large in Ukraine and need support now. If your company or organization is based in EU, Moldova, Romania and other countries Ukrainians can get to by land or other way and you want to help, please fill in this form to fast-track candidates who’d be interested and matching the skills we’re looking for. There are also other opportunities to support
- Way to to all of us to double our donation to Ukrainian humanitarian crises
- If you are looking for talented games industry professionals for short- or long-term hire – please check out the anonymous GameDevTalents board with screened and pre-interviewed talents ranging from mid to senior levels of experience and open to career opportunities. Feel free to reach out for details! And if you are Talent working in games industry or willing to join the Finnish games industry, feel free to apply https://gamedevtalents.comTake a look at https://thehub.fi/jobs for the current list of all jobs available in the Finnish Game Industry!
PlayFinland Admin note; War in Ukraine continues and creates a lot of uncertainty and instability in the warzone itself, Europe, and the whole world. Nuclear weapon threats are a grim reminder of a long-forgotten era. Under these conditions, we have no choice but stay calm and carry on. And there are a couple of things we all can do:
This war affects to all of us one way or another. We must stay united.
There is an abundance of possibilities to help the Ukrainian people, fellow game developers and the Ukrainian cause. Use them. I know many of you, both individuals and companies, have already done so.
Take care of each other and ourselves even more than before. Many people in the Finnish game industry have family members, friends, colleagues, and business partners in Ukraine. They deserve special care in these difficult times.
Please, keep in mind that this war was declared by the Putin regime, not by the Russian people suffering under Putin. Even more than ever, we have to make sure that we don’t judge anyone based on ethnic background or nationality.
There are currently several discussions about different joint industry responses and actions in the Finnish Game Industry. We will keep you updated.
The situation in Ukrainian war is grim. Several Finnish Game Companies have announced their donations to tackle humanitarian crisis in Ukraine.
- Dreamloop Games has partnered with Neon Giant to bring The Ascent to PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5! It launches March 24th and is available for pre-order now.
- Calling all fellow game devs! Game Development World Championship 2021 Awards is closing in and we have tickets available for the Live event held at G Livelab Helsinki on March 17th.
- Call for speakers and workshop facilitators to W Love Games event is now open
- You can join Games Jobs Fair ONLINE on April 27-29 to:
Connect with #gamedev studios
Attend exciting talks & panels
Network with experts & peers
Level-Up your career
Get valuable industry insights
- Virtual Hunter announced animal taxidermy and trophy mounts for Virtual Hunter!
- The last episode of Solip’s Comic “Game Expats Story – season 2″ the webcomic about game expats in Finland.