Play Finland’s Weekly Newsletter
In this report we will combine week 46/2022 from the Finnish Game Industry and will be posted every Friday afternoon. Check out the previous post here.
News are gathered from the Play Finland group posts during the week. That is why we recommend you to post by yourself (however not flood) your Finnish Game Industry related news to the group. It also guarantees that your news will be visible in the weekly newsletter /news compilation. Play Finland is at the moment one of the main channels for sharing information inside the industry.
- 26-27 November Theme Park. A digital art event
- 30 November Education for Game Industry Harassment contact persons
- 2th December; Tampere University Game Research Lab 20 years celebration. Register for coffee service by Monday 21 November.
- 7th December “Your First Steps in Unreal Engine” workshop
- 18 – 21 April 2023 GamiFIN Conference. The call for papers is now open! Submission Deadline: December 20th, 2022
- Yahaha Studios raised $40 million! More about the company in Finnish at Helsingin sanomat
- New Metacore games incoming as Merge Mansion hits $135m revenue, 30m installs
- Psyon Games wins the award for the Most Valuable Patient Education work in the Reuters Pharma Awards Europe 2022 with their ADHD awareness game co-created with Takeda, FULL ADHD.
- Remedy Entertainment signs a co-development and co-publishing agreement with 505 Games for Control 2
Open jobs & Recruitment:
- If you are looking for talented games industry professionals for short- or long-term hire – please check out the anonymous GameDevTalents board with screened and pre-interviewed talents ranging from mid to senior levels of experience and open to career opportunities. Feel free to reach out for details! And if you are Talent working in games industry or willing to join the Finnish games industry, feel free to apply https://gamedevtalents.com. Additionally, here is an anonymous list of talents who joined our Games Job Fair event and are open to career opportunities. If you want to see someone’s full profile, please feel free to reach out with the Contact button, so that they reach out to the talent for their consent. In your email please specify the project and/or position you are hiring for. A job description would be ideal.
- Take a look at https://thehub.fi/jobs for the current list of all jobs available in the Finnish Game Industry!
- Uratarinoita, erilaisista ihmisistä / mostly in Finnish, but few different career stories in English too
- Neogames has released Finnish Game Industry Policy recommendations. The three key steps the new government should take to support the local games industry:
– Success is built on talent– Success is built on the courage to take steps into unknown– Success is built on cooperation
- Neogames released best Practices for Young Start-ups to Rise Private Investments: A Case Study for the City of Helsinki
- See also flowchart related
- In case you have missed Neogames Asia (Updated Games Market Study – China, Japan and South Korean Market) report released on July.
- Creative Europe: support programme for Europe’s cultural and creative sectors 2021-2027. Deadline for applications is on 1st March.
- EXPA JKL, Digi & Game Center and Psyon Games were in cover at Finnish local newspaper. (Story only in Finnis and for subscribers)
- SciPlay Finland general manager Antti Kananen: on Finland’s place in the mobile gaming sector “The industry in Finland has flourished through having the right ingredients and resources in place.”
Miikka J. Lehtonen, Lobna Sameer Hassan, Kat Schrier Shaenfield, and yours truly) are conducting a study on game development practices across the world. Take the survey that should take max 20 minutes (Japanese, Arabic, and English so please pick your preferred language in the top right menu) and there’s also a chance to win one of 10 Amazon gift certificates (20 USD each).Participation and sharing this survey would be both much appreciated!
- Aalto University is developing Meliora, game to help depression with 2 million euros. (article in Finnish only)
- Game studies (in Finnish) on remote at Riveria
- Solip’s Comic asks “Are you back in the physical workspace?” Check out the latest episode of Game Expats Story
Studio Mankeli decided to make Casually Cultured for iOS as well (currently it’s only for Android 12+)